Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TO: PDs and PCs - indu12345
Thanks match17! You are right, they can mention and more information about what they are looking for in an applicant. Its so hard to guess what they want. Vague website information and when you email them to ask they dont reply. So sad.
@Indu

I think AAMC/ECFMG should do something about this issue...It saves lot of time & hard earned money
I wont mention the name of the program.

I checked FREIDA they said that the USMLE cutoff is 210 and their IMG percent is 60%.
I went to the website link it says that they dont have cutoffs and that they will review the whole application. Then in the resident roster their is 1 3rd year resident who is an IMG, the rest are AMG. Im sure that is 1 out of 24 residents is not 60%.

So here is what will happen:
-The AMG applicant who checked their website with a score of 200 would apply (just an example).
- An IMG who checked their FREIDA with a score of 220 would apply.
-Someone like me who checked both is confused and emailed the coordinator to ask. But they would think that I am demanding because they are busy and I should research more about the program. Hayyy...

If they were specific about what they are looking for then they would have lesser applicants. Right?
The AMG with a score of 200 would not apply because he knows that the cutoff is 210.
The IMG who saw in FREIDA that there is only 1% IMG in their program might not applyt (just an example)

Now instead of receiving 4000 applications, maybe they will receive 2000.
Another example:

A university program that would accept only the graduate of the school that they are affiliated with. 5 AMGs from their affiliated school rotated in their program and they liked them so much that they are 100% sure that they will take these AMGs that they have worked with in the past for 1 year. There is nothing wrong with that. Very understandable, right? The feeling is mutual. The 5 AMGs want to join their program and they want them. Perfect match.

Here is what is wrong: They accepted applicants (4000 applicants) when they have already decided who they wanted to get. They interviewed 200 applicants, but they already know that the spots are filled.

This is the case where I ask that they should not join ERAS and accept applications.
This is a true story. My brother is in that program. I dont hate their selection process because I know they have picked the great residents, like my brother. haha. But I hate the part where they deceived us.
WOW! First I will say I made an error in grammar...should have been "an accurate". Secondly, @indu12345, good luck to the program who matches you! Not only were your words strong...you have no idea of the reality of the situation at 99% of programs! You have no idea how much work goes into running a residency/fellowship programs! You have no idea how many systems we update, duty hours, schedules, lectures, LOR's, TB tests, Flu vaccines, contracts, badges, parking, research projects, files, verifications, etc. multiplied by the number of residents in the program. Then, of course, ERAS. So, until you walk a mile in a PC's shoes, I would not pass judgment!! Lastly, I will add that ERAS allows for only 100 messages to be sent at one time - you have NO idea!
Oh - one more thing....If you honestly think we would have less applicants with spelled out criteria, you are sorely mistaken! We have a clearly spelled out set of criteria, which is published in several places...still we receive close to 4,000 applicants. If you don't like the system, don't apply! It's your choice, isn't it? And, if you choose to apply, don't complain!
@pc001

I don't think real PC have that much time to answer qs in a public forum.

I don't agree with your comments. The significant number of programs do not update their own website and info over FRIEDA.

Applicants are directly proportional to future great doctors and are related to Public safety & Health. Nothing is more important than selecting applicants (public safety/health).

I strongly believe that the program must hire extra staff for admin work at least during application time.
@pc001
Who are you? I don't believe that you are a real PC. How is possible if you are a busy PC, you could waste your time in this forum?
Sorry, I am wrong, please stay focused on your job during the Match season.
Thanks.
@pc001

Funny you have so much time replying to my posts in this thread. Shouldn't you be reviewing applications? Its your job, isn't it?

Also, stop complaining about your responsibilities about being a PC. If you don't like it then dont work as a PC. If you can't do your responsibilities (because you are busy in the forums) then pls give up the job so that your program can find a better person to replace you.

By the way, there are few PCs here. You are the only one who is spending so much time in the forum. To the other PCs here, I salute you guys! Pls dont be like @pc001. Thank you for doing your job well! Don't be lazy like @pc001.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »