Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volunteer in Hospital - neelbajwa11
I had a volunteer interview in a hospital where they said I cannot be a volunteer in nursing station to interact with patients as it is against law and they can have lawsuits just because I am a physician . I am preparing for step 3 and thought to have some volunteer experience. so what I can do is to help on information desk, flower shop or pushing wheelchairs. What do you think is that worth it or can it improve my residency application. Just to inform that I am an old IMG with good clinical experience from my country and some clinical experience from local clinics in USA.
look for observership in hospitals or clinics so you can get US letter of recommendation.
True, an observership or externship is better. At least you'll get a letter, if nothing else. The only thing is they are hard to come by at residency programs where one can make good contacts.
No don't do anything that isn't clinically related. Volunteering is good as long as it is meaningful. Look for observerships, research, externship, teaching positions.
@aks1987 / docs...... would externship be better than observership if possible.?? pl confirm. And please bear with my question as i have yet to apply for residency. thanks a lot
Whether it's true or not - don't go against people in the hospital. You're just there to make the connections. That being said - I know volunteers staff the desk at my hospital so it obviously varies.

-------------------
David @ http://
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »