Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
End of the road? - djdoc87
Hi Guys

I have applied almost all over in Family medicine this year but no IV . Its really very frustating and now I am thinking of swithing my carrier
My stats are

Step 1- 190
step 2- 221
Step 2cs -2nd attempt
Step 3- 206

3 months basic science research -no publication
5 months US volunteer experience in multiple clinics
3 US LOR

what should I do ?
Hey, Don't give up man! Think about how much efforts we have made to complete med school. keep fingers crossed!!! Good Luck!!!
If you don't have any family medicine clinical experience. It is almost impossible to get an IV with these scores. Your year of graduation also matters a lot in FM.
Straightforward:

Your application is not strong and applying this year was probably not the best idea. A little too late to say but reliable information and a realistic approach are key in this process.

your Cons are:
- Your scores are low, Step 1 will not get you through any filter anywhere
- You have one attempt on CS
- No USCE. Volunteer experience does not count. Research will not help you for FM and not having publications doesn't give closure to the research effort.
- YOG? If you are above 3-5 years there is no way you will be considered over a fresh graduate.
- Do you need visa? That would make this 100 times more complicated.

The stories about "a buddy of mine getting super late interviews with 7 attempts and low scores" don't count. Don't rely on those. It is not a matter of luck with your credentials at this point in the process.

You need to get:
- Extensive, extensive, EXTENSIVE USCE, hands on, contact with patients and in your area of interest.
- Contacts. You will not get through any filters unless someone on the inside helps get your application to the PC or PD. Even with that it will be difficult. your step 1 score will kill your chances anywhere unless they know you.
- Prolonged observerships or clerkships in places that offer residency positions, get good contacts and make yourself known from beginning to end.
Sorry if I'm blunt but you need straight facts.
You are looking for encouragement but first you need to take a step back and redo your profile focusing on what you can improve, and that will take a lot of time and effort.
Thanks for your honest and blunt replies.

I'm a green card holder
Nanaki is blunt, but correct.

Family medicine isn't the back-up specialty anymore. AMGs have started to develop a liking towards it. And, just good scores aren't going to cut it in FM without significant USCE. And, your scores hamper your chances significantly. Second CS attempt is a big red flag in the application too. Your application is just not going to be seen by anyone because of the obvious filters applied. I am sorry but all the odds are against you.

Solution? I will reiterate what nanaki mentioned.
You need to do USCE in residency programs who are friendly towards IMGs in general. You need to impress them and show them how much you can really offer despite your credentials. That's the only way forward I guess.
Thanks guys

Can someone please send me link of IMG friendly programs who offer both observeship and Residency.

I will really appreciate your help.

Again you are asking the wrong question. Nobody is going to share with you anything. That's how it is these days. You need to work hard yourself and be smart if you want to get somewhere.
Call, email programs, attending everyday. You'll get rejections but someone somewhere will listen to you. Once you get in then you'll be surprised how many connections you can make and how many more places you can go. Just don't give up and work your a** off.
I agree with doctorstrange's post- you will have to the work on your own and we each have our own chances on matching to deal with. I would suggest you go through freida and look up program stats individually regarding IMG uptake status however
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »