Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pregnancy and child care in residency - clairemd
What length of maternity is typical? Do you have to make up the time? How to care for newborn child after returning to residency?
Following
Most of the programs offer just 3 weeks and that's your vacation time. I heard that some programs would add 1-3 weeks on top of your vacation time. If you use just your vacation time there is no need to make up the time. US is very tough when it comes to maternity leave.
After returning to residency a resident can not take care of a newborn child alone. You need to have either a baby sitter or to have someone else (spouse, relatives, friends) helping you with a child. Daycare centers usually are not a solution, since their working hours and your working hours will not be aligned. For example, if your ICU rotation is in a busy hospital you'll be leaving your home around 6am and coming back after 10pm, at least during PGY1. It's tough, but not impossible. Wishing you all the best!
Make sure whoever you get to look after the baby lives with you. If its a nanny you need a live-in nanny. Waiting early morning for them to get to your house before you set off to work will not work. Prepare to spend a lot of money on that. The United States is way behind other countries on maternity/paternity leave and those who get 6 weeks leave after birth are considered lucky. Many get 2-4 weeks.
Have in mind that most likely you'll get lighter rotations while you are still pregnant, which means that once you return to residency after childbirth you'll have harder rotations.
Oh. It is very very hard. Personal experience from close relative. On top of above things

1. You have to have 1 live-in person full time taking care of baby.

2. You may apply for 3-4 months of "family care live" available as federal live, which is unpaid. Depending on your hospital/program/university policy it may add equal number of time at the end of residency.

3. First year is always going to be the hardest. However, once you get to subsequent years, it is just different kind of "HELL"

4. As you moves along the residency, child needs changes and after age 2 or so you will have to think about taking toddler to playtime kind of things. This will interfere with your study.

5. If/when child gets sick, that's just overtime for everybody - You, live in person, other residents...

I am NOT trying to scare you. I am sure you have thought about it thoroughly and it is very difficult to postpone pregnancy because you are here. So inform relatives, close friends about your situation and spread their help.

Normally light residencies like Psychiatry, FM are ok (First year is still bad) but if you are in surgical resident, beware! I know 1 resident left 7 year Neurosurgery residency after 3 years with 4 year old child.

Goodluck
Have a LOT of family support around, that' s the only solution, or have a spouse making enough bank to afford full time childcare. Its not going to be easy, but its not impossible either. Most people I knew had kids while doing residency, they are full of horror stories, but they all completed residency successfully. Be prepared to give up all your 'me' time, and completely concentrate on baby and work. its 3-4 years, with a lot of sucking it up you'll survive! Have a happy and healthy rest of you pregnancy!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »