Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get residency in Pakistan or India? - barefoot
I understand there is a lot of experience to be gained by doing a residency in Pakistan and India given the very interesting cases and steep learning curve. I am not from either country. I am an EU citizen if that helps. Any input would be helpful.
Pass their licensing exam, same as in any other country.
Nobody else with some insight to share? How feasible is it for a foreigner etc etc? I read somewhere on this forum that one guy could not do his residency in India because he was a US citizen.
Just think, lot of doctors from India do very well in US & Europe residencies. That is positive flow of intellectuals. If you reverse the situation, it is uphill battle. The chances of getting into goo school in India in 10 times harder than Harvard.

However, on positive side, living is cheaper & you don't need to work to support. Let me refresh last statement - You will probably not find work outside to support you. When you are in India majority of students do 1 thing only - study 100% of the time.

https://www.change.org/p/ama-do-not-outs...y-for-them
For either country you must be a citizen
Oh wow, no wonder many citizens and green card holders are happy with Trump's decisions. How can nationals from countries with such policies dare to demand the US not also prioritize their own? I don't see the rationale.
dyz123 thanks for the info
India even distinguishes between resident and nonresident Indians I believe
Traditionally, it is not used to being a pathway sought by foreign nationals. 29 states have gazillion languages and its not always easy to communicate. Also may due to cultural differences, work hours and pay have also dampened its allure. So its not a path travelled often. But there are provisions! According to MCI',Provided that in the case of a foreign national, the Medical Council of India may, on payment of the prescribed fee for registration, grant temporary Registration for the duration of the postgraduate training restricted to the medical college/institution to which he is admitted for the time being exclusively for postgraduate studies; Provided further that temporary registration to such foreign national shall be subject to the condition 5that such person is duly registered as medical practitioner in his own country from which he has obtained his basic medical qualification and that his degree is recognised by the corresponding Medical Council or concerned authority'
For further info, seehttp://www.mciindia.org/RulesandRegulations/PGMedicalEducationRegulations2000.aspx
Institutions like AIIMS and JIPMER have residency seats called postgraduate MD/MS reserved for foreign nationals. All of us have an entrance exam in June and November usually, and allotments are twice an year.
Over the last couple of years, especially service oriented doctors are inclined to try the Indian medical practice. So there is a change in trend with foreign degrees being recognized and check out this article on that http://www.texilaconnect.com/850-foreign...this-year/
Now our honest situation after medical school, we have an intern year and then we register. There are almost hundred thousand doctors here with no residency spots. Each year only a mere thousand out of this pool, ie less than 10% make it. After graduation, we all take a gap year to write an entrance test and like I said most of us don't make the cut. Its not a hard test but every half point your rank goes down a few thousand. I'm hoping you get a picture. To top that, we have a reservation system for underprevileged communities. So afterall that, we never really have many positions. But in jipmer and aiims, in the entrance, foreign candidates have desperate reserved seats.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »