Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wyckoff Medicine Residency Terminated soon? - matchapplicant
I really appreciate if someone can help me. I had an interview at Wyckoff Heights for internal medicine residency in New York. The hospital was much disorganized and most of the residents seemed unhappy and tired. I decided to rank them as my last rank, but today I heard this program got the warning by ACGME recently, and maybe terminate in the middle of the residency. So I don’t know rank Wyckoff as my last rank or not rank?
Unfortunately, this is true. ACGME reduced their residency spots from 26 to 19. I also had an interview at Wyckoff for internal medicine. I didn’t like that program. I didn’t rank them, not because of my feeling, but for the possibility of termination of their residency. Transfer to another residency is very difficult. They give me a copy of the contract on the interview day which mentioned: “Agreement may be terminated by the Hospital only…..for termination of the residency position” (Page 7) If you match to their program, and then the program terminated after several months: first, transfer to another program is extremely difficult. Second, if the program terminates and then you want to participate in the next match, your chance is lower than new applicants, because residency programs use fund from the government and they will not receive fund for the first year for the person who previously was the PGY-1. So, I decided to Not rank Wyckoff internal medicine.
@aspirin2000: Thank you so much. I decide to not rank Wyckoff.
I liked the area around Wyckoff and people were very nice.

Have heard nothing but bad stories about laziness and poor mastery of English among several residents.
if a program is closed in the middle of residency, the acgme works to place you in another program. you don't enter the match again. basically, the acgme bribes hospitals in the area and lets them have extra spots so they can accommodate the residents from the closed program. it's exceedingly rare for a program to be shut down, but it really has very little effect on the residents in the grand scheme of things, and the fear of a program being shut down should not dictate your plans.
I do not know ACGME help or not, but on the contract with Wyckoff, they mentioned, if the program terminates, they offer “Reasonable assistance in finding appointment to another residency program”. But there is No guaranty to find a residency spot. In an optimistic view, I could rank them as the last rank.
To all applicants who are interested in internal medicine residency: There are 3 “new” internal medicine programs which now accept applicants on ERAS for the interview:
ACGME Accreditation ID- Name- State (Visa):
1400400925-White River Health System Program- AR (J1-H1b visa)
1402500927- Mercy Health Saint Mary's Program- MI (J1 visa)
1403500929 - Brookhaven Memorial Hospital- NY (Green Card)
For more information see ERAS and Freida, email or call these programs if you are interested. Best of Luck!
How can they be interviewing this late in the season?
They have to do interviews now because they entered ERAS lately. You can ask them, but I think maybe they offer Prematch before February 22, Or maybe rank the applicants rapidly and participate in Match. I do not know what really they want to do. But definitely, these 3 programs will be IMG friendly and would be a good option for applicants who have few interviews.
I interviewed with one of the three "new programs" last week, it's in the match. There was only one day left open for interviews at the time after mines with 10 people per interview
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »