Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
observership vs externship.................. - learningg
-which one carries more weight, please.

- Observership in a teaching hospital OR Externship in outdoor polyclinic setting

Thanks a lot every one
Do obsie in teaching hoapitals and be as active as you can. (Ie do case presentation, journal club, help with research, community outreach, patient ed). Get LOR from academic attendings. Externships are often times money-makers with LOR that has little value.
-@alberrito....Thanks a lot. I will not do externship with money makers. what about externship in multispecialty outdoor polyclinic if I could get that due to connections.??

-your idea about obsie in a teaching hospital is good one, I will look into it.

Regards and thank you.
You should prioritize obsie at teaching hospitals over externship because you get to know attendings, residents, coordinators and participate in activities that I believe you can't find in externships. But I don't believe all externships are totally useless. If you have connections that set you up nicely for an externship then by all means do it.
I suggest you research observerships that you find thoroughly as I have read some aren't good (ie won't write LOR or write poor LOR). And I would be careful with obsies you find through agencies, some of them aren't really at teaching hospitals.
Regardless of what USCE, be active, always say hi and smile, be friendly, introduce yourself, always ask to help out, volunteer to do stuff, ask to do topic discussion, presentations, research...etc. All these can impact what people write in your LOR. And if they really like you, and they take IMGs, it might just be your break! Good luck and all the best!
@sqedsaint.....thank you v much for your advice...DOC.

- I will not find obsie through agencies.
- I will try obsie in local teaching hospital and I know hospital takes/have IMGs. But if they say yes, should I ask PC/PD if they issue LORs or not....?? I may try to reach some resident IMG through hospital phone to get the info regarding Obsie.
-if that does not work....then I may try Externship/obsie in a polyclinic as I said before.
- And on your last paragraph advice, I need to do better honestly.

Thank you so much for your kindness.
President of AMIQT, Dr. Peter Bernad http://www.neuro-doc.com/, is board certified in neurology and welcomes students to participate in month-long rotations and observerships with him and highly qualified colleagues. If students are interested in multiple specialties, we can accommodate them.

For further information, please contact me directly: rubyamiqt
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »