Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step 1-203 after 3 years, CS fail, and ... - ckpath
Step 1 - 203 after 3 years of completing basic science, CS fail few months back, and will be taking CK soon. Should I only apply for family? Do I have any chance at IM or Peds? I have good LORs, all clinical rotations in US and I'm US citizen.
Has anyone been in my position and matched?
I'm assuming you are a US IMG. Honestly man I don't think it's impossible to get an interview but your odds of matching is pretty slim; a cs fail is kind of a death sentence and your step 1 isn't too spectacular. I would apply to a few fm programs in your state but honestly look for other career opportunities in a different field
Someone I know matched with scores in 210s Step1, CS passed on 2nd-time, Step2 in 220s into FM this year. I think he had Step3 done as well. Graduated in 2014 & matched on 3rd attempt. It's going to be tough for you - knock it out of the park on your aways bc connections are your best chance.
Don't let your application face hardships.
Residency Edits has reviewed thousands of Personal Statements, CV/Resumes, and Letters of Recommendation.

Our professional editors have a combined 30+ years of experience assisting applicants in the Residency Match.
Our edits help neutralize red flags, highlight uncommon strengths, & overcome cultural hurdles.

Use the code "MATCHEDIT20" for a discount.
Submit your documents for a quote today http://residencyedits.com/index.php/services/
Thank you guys for replying. JYI, I'm a female.
Score may define me partially. Every score has a story, but at the end of the day it is what it is. I'm not going to let that bring me down. I know I will get a spot somewhere. I don't know if it matters, but most of my preceptors were happy with me compared to other students, I always prepared to answer their questions before rotation/had great presentations/interactions. And some still keep in touch with me like Pediatrics doctor, IM doctor, and General surgeon to see how I'm doing. I'm more than what my score says about me.
I have 2 family members in last year of their FM residency. They will be finishing up by June of next year, I will be applying next year in September.
I plan to get good score on Step 2 & 3, retake CS and finish up on my remaining electives.

Should I only apply to FM?
Stay persistent in your effort. Do not be discouraged. Pass other exams. If you feel that Family Medicine is your specialty, concentrate on it. There are approximately 500 FM programs in the US. Good luck girl!!!
so sweet of you geronimo ... Thank you

There are a lot of impressive stories of people who match and do very well with low scores and/or fails, so I think if you improve your CV, do network, get good LORs and pass all the exams you can definitely make it, but I wouldn't apply this year, even though tests are not everything, they are the ones that open the door for interviews, and you may end up spending money on applications, but that's just my suggestion.

Good luck!!! it can be done!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »