Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what is differance.....???? - ferhan
please help me to tell that what is differance between observership/internship/externship/and volunteer????
Let me share what I know about these. i am not authority on this so please correct me if I am wrong

Observership: You just observer the doctor on his clinical rounds and you are not allowed any type of contact with the patient.

Internship is just like what you do in your residency

Externship: You have limited patient contact under the supervison of the doctor under the legality of the hospital

Observership- You just watch the system. No patient contact.
Internship- like clinical rotations also called electives/clerkship here but its only for US medical students-3rd year and 4th.
Externship- there is no official term like this. You have patient contact but a lot of rules apply....and like starwars said..under supervision and you may have to pay.
Volunteer- everything other than what a doctor does! Smile Every hospital has a dept like this. You basically help out the staff....it could be taking things from one place to another, spending time with pts, even in the gift shop or floral shop, food....u name itSmile Usually done by high school students here for extra curricular activities.

Hope this helpedSmile
thanks dear,
your information is realy helpfull for me .
please tell me another thing ,what is most suitable for matching ??
Most suitable for matching is clerkship but not possible for imgs. In fact, some states like IL ,where I live will not allow patient contact unless you have license or insurance. So the best bet is Research (any research--even if it is administrative, data entry, clinical etc) but it will be good if you have an abstract or publish an article either as co-author or author. Again it might be paid or non-paid depending on your immigration status. Volunteer is also okay- its like extra curricular activity. Dont feel ashamed of this...Its better to proudly say I am volunteering at ------Hospital than saying I am not doing anything right now. Take step 3 and build contacts. GL
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »