Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help - d072491
i wanna apply to internal medicine but have : 206/209/cs 1st attempt; us citizen-img , one published case serries, and 4 months observership.chances of matching to internal medicine?!!!!!
From a PC - Unfortunately, your scores will most likely filter you out of most internal medicine programs before your application is even reviewed. You should apply to FM and Psych also, and make connections if you want your application looked at. Observerships do not carry much weight, as they are not hands on experience and the LOR's do not give any pertinent information regarding performance. Most PD's and Faculty do not look at observerships as important USCE. Not trying to be a "downer".....I just know from experience how the application process works and what programs are looking for.
just apply don't listen to smartpc. you never know what will happen.
@d072491 It's important to look at each program requirements. If a program requires 220 at the minimum score, the chances of you getting an interview there is 0%, unless you know someone at the program. However, even then, you may get an interview, but are NOT guaranteed a spot.

@doctorwhovian Your advice to not listen to smartpc, is some of the worst I've seen yet. Smartpc gave really good, insightful advice. When everyone applies because "you never know what will happen," it clogs things up for the programs and makes everything go SO much slower. Programs can't possibly go through every single application, so we have to use filters. Using filters gets rid of everyone who doesn't meet our requirements. Then, we have a more manageable, yet still extremely long, list of applicants to legitimately look at.
thank you all for the good advice. means alot. i read alot of programs all have more than 200 scores. so i just dont know what they use as filters.
you need to have US LORs which will strengthen your application.... want about the YOG
@parmesh495, i have us lor as well. i graduated last year....
Hi,
I believe smartpc provided a good advice. I have applied to IM in the past and I haven't received any interview (scores 218/208/cs/194 all first attempt). However, I did get one interview in a place where I knew someone. If the minimum score says to be more than what you have, then you should apply only if you know someone in that program that will help you by making them look at your application. FM is less strict with score minimums and attempts, especially that you don't need visa (I assume). Best of luck.
thank you at hbc03...did you match? do you have an email address i can pm you at?
@fammedtiger - Thank you for your comments - you are so very correct! My advice was intended to be helpful, not hurtful. If a program screens at 220, what is the point of wasting time applying? Filters are put in place for a reason and are used by every program with more than 20 applicants.

@doctorwhovian - Feel free not to listen to me and fammedtiger - that is your choice. I may not be a doctor, however, I am able to see that if a filter is placed at 220, and a score is 218, it will be filtered out and the application not reviewed. If an applicant knows someone who will request his/her application be reviewed, that is a different story. In saying that, a request for review does not always equal an interview. Each year there is more competition with thousands of applications. Without a filter for score, year of graduation, etc., it would be impossible to review every application.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »