Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Determination. One way to conquest Step 1. - esmanny

This is my experience preparation for Step 1. English is not my first language and was using translator often through my journey.
I warn you! this is not for people looking for high scores(come on, you got nicer inspirational stories out there!) or with a ton of time for preparation or with the creed that multiple resources and hours of video and books are the panaceas.
Hope it encourages those struggling with this big journey especially if someone has or is considering giving up.
My philosophy was simple and yet hard.
How to get the best result in the least amount of time? taking in Consideration aspects like my YOG, time for the other step and season of application.

I stumble at first with the great number of resources. didn't even try the so-called videos and books.
Started Pathoma videos and book, nice, refreshing material but was taking me a lot of time, had a plan to jump to BRS physiology than FA.
But this plan came to an end when I founded Dr. Mohammed Taher course in UW forum.
At first me and my family was hesitating because never had a tutoring class over skype, but moved forward and join the group, since the first day it was a big challenge, because I am still working my English, I started interacting with peers and eventually had a nice partner that continues to be my friend.
Dr. Taher has a great way to challenge and keep you motivated, there were very intense 4 months of medicine in recent years since I step in med school in my home country.
He shared his experience, resources and keep the flow of learning amazingly high during all the course.
I didn't keep up to his pace most of the time but gave my best always.
I did Start USMLE Rx Qbank which was great to find context for unfortunately did only 1/4 and Jumped to UW.
Now, it took me a while to get a good rhythm, first started doing annotations aside but later only in FA. Which was more beneficial in the end.
Started giving the NBMEs and things looked pretty bad, but kept working, reviewing every question, did UWSAs but still, things were looking not good.
I Kept working. Even in the middle of the desperation of not getting where I wanted to be. It was until the third NBME that scored above 200. Again I said this is not for greater scorers-you guys rock!
I went through every NBME online that there is also did only half of NBME 7(offline) because of time, got medbullet questions in the plate too. NBME 15 gave 218. Also did the practice test in Prometric center.
I knew when I was in my maximal potential for this test, I didn't hear anyone else but my hard work. Concentrating on every detail and facing it.
The week of the test had a couple of nights of insomnia but the day before I went for a long walk, visit friends and slept actually really nice.
Got everything as planned for the big day, from cloth to wear to food, from arrival to break times.
I felt ready, I knew it would throw me curve balls but I was confident that I would pass the exam and with the hope that if all things will work out I might get a better score than my highest NBME.
The exam was fair, I understood almost everything that was being asked.
I felt good after the exam, it felt weird because most of the people I had talked said differently.
There were some strange questions that will never know but most of the questions were related to the content of FA and UW.
Then it started the remembering and mourning questions, going from positive to feel defeated over the weeks but something kept me sane: I Gave my best.
Did received my score a couple days before. PASS! with almost 10 points over my highest NBME. I like it. Oh well! Got to live with it!

Points to take home:
-Score high! No apology.
-Will take time, but keep the pace and faith.
-Score Step 1 matters as it matters the rest of this long process and personal profile. Remember you are going to stay with this score or you are going to stay with out any score for so long that it will hurt you in the application season.
-Find a Study partner it gives you confidence and maybe another good friend.
-Balance time and resources is a must.
-Plan ahead your test date or you will never go anywhere.
-Plan and stick with it. Is important to be flexible and persistent. Plan every week and you shall attain the best outcome.
-Last month I did only questions and FA reviews. Add extra blocks from other sources to NBMEs to simulate the real test. Do not start NBMEs too late. It will help you familiarize with the exam among other advantages.

Blessings,

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »