Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Family Medicine Interview Thread 2019 - sifodyas357
Really depends on a lot of things, YOG, scores, visa, etc. I don't have the best scores or anything but I'm a US-IMG and the rest of my application was pretty solid for FM. I'd start emailing programs soon. Last year I didn't get my first IV until the first week of November so it may still be early.
Hello sifodyas357, congrats on your many IV's. This is my first application season and no IV's yet. Just a handful of rejections and acknowledgements. Do you mind sharing what you did differently this time, and while you were waiting for IV's last year, did you email programs and do you believe that was helpful?
Yeah, absolutely. From what I've learned, PD's put a lot of weight on the PS and your committment to FM. I only got 1 IV last year but I realized my application wasn't that great and I had a lot of work to do, especially with being a post grad (2017) bc it becomes that much harder for us with each passing year. Since then, I picked up an MBA in Health Services, worked as a medical scribe, got a poster presentation in, did multiple volunteering, and did an externship in FM and got new LORS's even though I already have 2 years USCE. I think programs look at the app very holistically so if they see you have a strong app it can compensate for people who have lower scores like I do. Seems like programs also want people from the area as most of my IV's are from programs relatively close to me.

In my opinion, the FM application is more complex than an IM one, because they really want to see your interest, so the PS and LOR's make a huge difference. With those changes I'm up to 10 IV now, but honestly I know people who matched with 1, so it really depends on your IV skills as well. I did email programs last year, but I think bc my application wasn't that great no one got back to me, so I put a lot of time in improving over the next year to get ready for this one, and it seems like its been working out.

Best of luck to you man, I know this whole process is brutal, but keep at it. Good luck!!
Thanks sifodyas for the detailed response. I am an old IMG, compared to you, am a fossil! My scores are above average but I really don't have USCE just 2 months observership. Just hanging in there and hoping for an invite soon. Goodluck in your interviews
If you guys have specific questions I matched in the 2018 Match in FM in one of my top 5 programs. US IMG step 210s, step 2CK 220s, CS pass all first attempt, worked after graduating in 2017 as a medical scribe. No idea about VISA since I’m a US citizen. Feel free to ask me anything else.
(83,000 VIEWS!); i.e., TOP SEARCH RESULT:

IMG passed USMLE and got residency
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »