Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No invites :( - sthapit17
how can I apply for medical assistant job?? I am a visa requiring candidate do they sponsor visas for the job??
@chronicglaucoma240 I applied on Indeed and I am a US citizen btw. So what visa do you have? I believe you can work unless if you have tourist visa...
yes I am on a tourist visa
@chronicglaucoma240 If you have any immediate relatives here in USA (parent, sibling, spouse/fiancé, I would suggest to file for adjustment of status but otherwise the only thing you can do Is volunteer while on a tourist visa...
Try to get hands-on rotations in US to strengthen the application for residency match, this can help the application to show strong LORs and can show that you are clinically active.
@Kukal

Hey. I am a US citizen. I too was interested in applying for Medical Assistant Job but figured I could not because I did not have the required certificate (Medical Assistant Certificate or what not). Can I apply with just an ECFMG certificate?
@djmetal88 yes you can. I personally have worked without medical assisting license and without ECFMG certificate. I worked 3 years like that as an MA and medical scribe and that's how I got my LORs plus a 1 month clinical rotation offer by my supervising physician. What I think helped, is that my English is excellent and went above and beyond every shift I worked. I believe that most of private clinics don't care about MA license, but you should look for any clinic that their doctors are affiliated with a teaching university of your interest. You should apply to every possible clinical job in your area!!! I know it's lower than our skills, but I was able to expose myself to the real medical world, and familiarize with the US medical system. Also when I got job offer recently from a teaching hospital they said oh no you don't have your MA license and I quickly offered to send my USMLE transcripts where it explains what I am allowed to practice based on each exam report!! My point is you have to push harder, do your research and stay confident!! Everything counts, your experience, your knowledge, your diploma etc.... And I had no connections or whatsoever plus I live in a city where they are not too many foreign physicians and is not an IMG friendly state!!! I did everything by my own research and persistence.... Good Luck!!!
@kukal

thank you so much. I too reside in a state where are only a few hospitals and do not prefer IMGs. Is it ok if I could send you an email from time to time? Just to ask a few questions. If not. I totally understand. Thank you

batmanisreal30
@kukal - I really impressed that you found medical assistant's job without certificate (I know how difficult it is in MA!). But did it really help you to get a lot of interviews (or you are a resident already)?

@chronicglaucoma240 and @sthapit17 - I think you both have impressive credentials and fresh YOG, so your chances are good. I hope you applied on September 15?
I have 2 advices for you (in case if you will not match this year, iv invites are still coming!):
1. apply to much more IM programs next year - there almost 500 of them, choosing people for iv is a game of numbers (in many cases). Do not rely on any companies that create residency lists for you.
- I got 12+ iv this year and only 35% of the residencies were in the list I bought.
2. hire somebody to help you with your application - how to write each entry to impress a PD; the same person(s) may advise you which rotations to do and which LORs are good or not.

I understand this requires tons of money, but you already have done a great job passing Steps with high scores, so make just the last effort!
@yanagi I am just applied this season for the first time. Yeah the connections helped but my only problem is my step 1, I totally blew it and right now preparing to take step 3 in 2 weeks hopefully to improve my application. I was also in a situation where I needed money to pay for the test and living expenses that's why I worked full time during the usmle preparation. Not the ideal strategy but didn't have any other options...
@djmetal88 I got your email and will write you when I leave work!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »