Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest FB Reviews of IV Prep/MissionResidency - katemissionresidency
abhussain:

You are, of course, entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to make up your own facts.

You may want to check the 2018 NRMP Program Directors Survey,
https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/...or-WWW.pdf

Page 4: All Specialties
Percentage of Programs Citing Each Factor And Mean Importance Rating¹ for Each
Factor in Ranking Applicants

Fact: The Top 4 Factors used are interview-related/specific, with 86-96% of programs using what you did on interview day to determine ranking, with importance rating of 4.7-4.8(on a scale of 1-5, 1=not at all important, 5=very important)

It's entirely up to you to determine for yourself if you want to make a judgement based on anonymous sources and BLINDLY IGNORE evidence from NAMED sources both on here and on . . . you're doing what Trump & his supporters do.

Also consider the fact that 'matcharesident18' has CLEARLY admitted that he/she did not actually attend the full course when he/she wrote: No Follow-Ups, No Mocks.

Follow-up/Mock IV's are the MAIN part of this course, with every session recorded for review. The only time I've seen Dr B reprimand a student is if they freely admitted that they did not practice/prepare for session.
*I am happy to post an audio-only replay of whatever practiced he/she is referring to, removing all indications of their name/identity...but she'd have to privately message me which practice session she attended*

And from the 2017 season that he/she is referring to the docs he spent the majority of time with over 80% of them had various degrees red flags like low scores/failures/old grad.

Any applicant actually still reading this exchange should know one thing: If you're going to make a judgement based on anonymous random posts AND then fairly weigh that against verifiable positive posts, then you're thinking like the doctor that you are.

At the end of the day, you are ALL asking PD's to review your application and ask for them to give you a chance to prove yourself in person - to see for themselves who you really are, that you're more than a red flag. If they dismissed your application because of a random opinion, how would you feel?
i'm sorry to hear you didn't get what you were expected from joining mission residency.
I have to disagree with you on many levels.
first of all I'll tell you about my CV. I'm IMG. graduate from medical school in 2006. my scores are 231, 232 and pass CS. I have a failed once in step 1. I didn't match 2 years ago with 8 IV offers. I joined mission residency last year and i got only 4 IV offer. I matched after that. As you can see from my CV, i'm not a typical candidate at ALL. i'm old graduate, I have failed one of the steps. and my scores are average. yet I MATCHED after joining mission residency. and the biggest things I still regret and will for the rest of my life, is that I didn't join 2 years ago, but simply I didn't know about mission residency.
I could agree with you that Dr.B could be hard on us, but he does that only to push us to get our best. he knew each one of us, he knew exactly what we are capable of, and yet he did that to us just to get us to reach our goals and our dreams. I will be forever thankful to him. Did he make me cry ?? YES million times. DID he yelled at me and made fun, yes he did. Did i have a second thoughts why I paid that much, does it worth it? YES I DID. If I get a chance to go back in times and join again and pay double what I had pay, YES 100%. It worth every single minutes. Its hard. you have to work hard to earn it. and I believe all of us are. we took steps , we all did self studies, we all worked hard to earn every single dollars to come to US and pay for those expensive USMLE study material, exams fees. but we all know also nothing come easy, nothing comes without you putting all your efforts to get it. Dr.B showed us the first steps, he was available anytime we needed him, we literally asked a lot from him and his family. but at the same time, we all were practicing every day as a groups, we followed his advice. we all cried, we all laugh, and WE ALL MATCHED. and we all did that coz we joined mission residency for only one goal in mind which is to get MATCHED and we did. you need to work hard to get to that point.
let's be realistic, if you don't attend practice, if you dont practice with your session friends, if you don't try harder to impress him next session, if you dont overcome your fears, will be able to handle residency after that ??? Residency is hard, and attending are harder, they will not cut you lose if you didn't know what u r doing from the first day. but this is how we all learn.
I"m sorry you didn't match, it's the worse feelings in my life too. but dont give up. it's your opinion which I respect. but there's other IMG, friends and family who all needs to join mission residency to reach their goals. so you need to listen to both sides of the stories before you judge that.
I recommend mission residency to all my friends and family, and before they join, i always tell them. IT'S Hard, you have to work hard to get it, and Dr.B will help you to get to your goal, if you really mean it.
As I said again, I graduated in 2006, had less than averages scores with one trial, i dont even have strong CV, with very few US clinical experiences, yet I MATCHED after joining mission residency. and i heard it from my current PD, that they were super impressed with my IV and how they enjoied it. and just FYI, my IV was one of the hardest, it was one full hour with PD, one full hour with associated PD and one full hour with faculty member. so imagine 3 full hours of IV talks plus lunch with them and yet I managed to a it all together and MATCH at that program !!!!! I think this give a simple and clear image of how prepare I was for all this !!!!

Thank you Dr.B and thank you mission residency for making my dreams come true. I'm forever thankful. I wish people out there read my personal opinion about mission residency and get their dreams come true too.
I'm Saminathan A. of Session D of 2016 Mission Residency batch. I matched at Lincoln medical center, NY in a pediatrics residency program and I AM and WILL ALWAYS BE thankful to Dr.Brian (Dr.B) for his efforts in mine and rest of my batchmate’s match. I'm not trying to force anyone to join this interview prep program, but I’d like to write some FACTS & specifically reply to the negative comments some people have made in this forum.

As an IMG, I had a difficult time trying to understand what the US system wants from an IMG. I came across many residency prep programs and honestly I was skeptical about this one too. But through my cousin who was also a Mission residency alumni, I came to know that this course isn't anything like the negative reviews written in certain places and FAR FAR BETTER than other courses. So I trusted her and decided to join this course and I could tell from the bottom of my heart that it has helped me a lot in many ways including not just IVs but in real life too. Yes, it's expensive but it's worth it every $. Yes, you may be able to match without any help from mission residency but as an IMG it is getting tough every year to match and I understand that more and more from a resident’s perspective after seeing how Program Directors (PD) actually select candidate; HOW YOU DO DURING YOUR IV IS A MAKE OR BRAKE FACTOR! Hence it is imperative to excel in the interviews that we have at hand and I believe from bottom of my heart that Dr.B provides you with confidence and solid foundation that's required for it.

“NO ONE can help/change you unless YOU decide to do so” - quote from my PD and I truly believe in it. You have to put in the required effort to achieve what you want; how can you except someone to help you if you’re not ready to help yourself? If you’re going to have negative ideas since the start of the program, didn’t attend classes, didn’t put in adequate efforts or pay attention to Dr.B’s advices, then you are not gonna get the best results. All I’m trying to say is, you go all in or all out; commit yourself to excel. 100% commitment is required for this IV prep & for any IV prep for that matter!

Fact: I remember the time when Dr. B was admitted to hospital for an illness during an IV season and still he made sure we proceeded with our mock interviews and provided quality feedbacks. Now this is the amount of commitment he makes.
My view: One of the reason he charges a lot is because he spends SO MUCH time and effort into how to make you better so that you can match the very same year! Its not just about WHAT you talk in the interview; it also about HOW you talk, how you PRESENT yourself, your BODY LANGUAGE and so forth.Do I think I can get this from any other IV prep companies? I doubt. There may be other courses which provide mock IVs at lower cost but I don’t think they will really provide it with quality and in a comprehensive way like Mission Residency.
Fact: I’ve visited his house personally and I KNOW THE AMOUNT OF HARD WORK HE PUTS IN FOR THIS COURSE; so many hours, so many back-stage preparations! Guys, he also a human with a family; do you want someone to just baby sit you all the time? NO ONE can. Pfft, not even those low cost companies can!

By the way I’ve NEVER seen/heard any person in mission residency being left out after the 5 days course and I can guarantee you 100% that there will be some many practise sessions with him and more. There is a caveat to it; you’ve to make sure you attend it!

His pre-IV mocks are TOUGH! Do you think the real life residency interview is gonna be all flowers? No! Well, may be one or two but majority of the time its hell! It may last only few minutes and you have to show your best right? So, do you want Dr.B to go soft on you and let you suffer at the actual interview or do you wanna be prepared for it with his tough mock IVs? You decide for yourself.

He is an extremely professional person. During the actual practise session, I’ve NEVER had any issues with his professionalism. Off sessions he behaves and chit chats with you more like any other friend and you have the freedom to like or dislike “this friend”!

“Reading iv prep books, following usmle forums on social media and practising with your friends is sufficient enough to prepare for your interviews” Not unless you are master in communication skills and interviewing. Yes, networking is important but social media posts and reading just IV prep books is NOT just sufficient to prepare you for IV!

Honestly, this course has helped me not just to match but also to improve my communication skills as a resident and in general too.
Fact (not trying to brag!): Friends & family who know me have told me quite a lot of times that they have noted a positive change in me in terms of how I speak and communicate with the other person; this happened only after I joined mission residency! As a resident, my attendings, nurses and respiratory therapist have commented that I’ve got good communication skills, I interact with kids & their family with passion and in a professional way; Trust me, one of the major reason for this is Dr.B. So I can tell with certainty that you’ll definitely get better and his advices will be helpful all throughout the life.
Fact: He gives me ideas and tips even after I matched! When I had issues at residency, I turned to him and he helped me as soon as he could. I dont think any other “IV prep company” would do that.

Bottomline, it’s worth investing in Mission Residency.

Once again, whether or not you wanna join Mission Residency should an INFORMED DECISION you have to make after having real facts in hand. If you have any more questions / doubts regarding join this course feel free to post it here or in FB and I'm more than happy to clarify it. Good luck! Peace out!
Hello guys!

I am quite shocked that an interview course did not give you a guaranteed residency spot!

I do understand the frustration from everyone who did not match and I also understand why it is important to make this a point finding something to reason with for not matching. Its so easy to blame one thing. Like he personally went out to make sure you did match right? No. You, like most people, joining his class had bad profiles and that made you bad candidates which is the bottom line. If you had good scores and no red flags then you wouldn't even have bothered with this course.

I don't know what your expectations were. I sincerely believe that making long unfounded claims under an alias (?to protect what privacy) is definitely not the way to go. If you can't afford it then that's a bummer and I really understand that. But if you can afford it then its completely worth it. The practice sessions were for several days after initial 5 days and then there were so many times when he was mean at me but that was because I sucked and did not work hard enough. But once I did I could see the difference in myself. Now, not only did I match but later also my brother in the same program. This was in a large part because of him. He even did help me through fellowship interviews FOR FREE!!

So in the end, was it worth it? Without a doubt! Its like my one month salary for a dream life that I will not trade for any other. I would do this again in a heartbeat. If you guys have any questions then do reply to me and we can discuss more. No anonymous crud, real people discussion.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »