Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
no invites - hopeless2919
I’m in the same boat guys. I got motivated to take usmle exams after meeting a classmate 10 years ago, who was going for residency interviews, while my journey had not even started. I thought if she can do it, so can I and I took on this huge responsibility on myself. I was foolish and immature to think like that coz both our circumstances were different. She was single and had this flexibility to study and go for interviews and no responsibilities, but I was not and Was already drowned in numerous responsibilities. I took one step at a time slowly, passed my exams on first attempt but with very very low scores. By the time, I was done with my step exams, My year of graduation was past 5 years, then I started doing internships here and there, trying to do more internships to build contacts and get lors. I only got lors and none of the contacts helped me much. Every year I applied and remained unmatched, like throwing away money in the garbage on these residency applications. I came in contact with some other applicants and they only helped me publish so I can get some publications to make my resume stronger. Still unmatched. Then everybody advised me to do research. I applied to many places and finally got an unpaid research position in an academic hospital. I applied again for match, with internships, research experience, publications and good lors. Still unmatched. Then people started advising me to do masters degree. I enrolled in a masters degree program in a great Ivy League University Hospital and also continued doing research and publications on the side. During this time I worked very hard and inspite of my bad scores, managed to get a good lor from the Chairman of the Department at the Ivy League hospital. I applied again this year, but 0 interviews. Only rejections!
I have now started to look at other career options coz I’m sick and tired and financially drained! I got my masters degree but now I’m drowned in student loans too. But all these years, seeing some people who were in this journey with me who managed to get residencies, I have concluded that there r 2 types of Img candidates who make it:
1. Those with good scores. I’m saying this coz good scores trumps everything else: visa, yog, attempts and all other red flags. No matter how many publications u have or how many masters degrees, at the end of the day Img programs finalize their decisions 95% of the time based on scores.
2. Connections: knowing people is one thing and that does not matter. True connections r those who will really do something for u, like those who can get u interviews, vouch for u,... those who r there to sincerely help u, not give u lors and say good luck. I have seen people with lower scores than mine, with attempts, gaps, yog 10+ years, get interviews and match thru connections.

Unfortunately, I have very low scores and my yog is 10+ years too running after this career. Although, I made couple of connections during my 10 year journey, but they did not help much, just gave me lors and said good luck. Now With a very heavy heart I work in clinical research, I see doctors everyday and it breaks my heart and almost makes me want to cry with tears when I see them discuss patients on morning rounds. I understand and acknowledge every medical case they talk about but they r MDs and practicing, while I’m just listening to them everyday... I have been thru hell and now I have decided to move on and accept this as my fate... good luck to you all applying! I hope and pray nobody has to go thru what I have been thru...
Hey struggling 10, I am sorry that happened to you. I know what you mean by find real connections because some of them they just give you a pat in the back. One question I have, have you actually gotten interviews the past match cycles? I have seen other people with terrible scores and attempts but still matched. I would say you need to actually find the right connection and speak up. Trust me, mos of us just assume people will actually do what you need but you have to be persistent. Belive in your achievements and defend them!! I don’t want you to give up!!!
@intro2015

lmaoooooooooooo

I guess people forget their past once they move up the ladder..

Hi kukal,
The first time I applied I got only 2 interviews, both coz I went out of my way to beg few contacts that I had in those 2 programs. So much time has gone by that now those 2 people I knew have completed their residency and have moved on that I can’t even ask them to get me interview again. Last year I got only 1 interview and this year no interviews, zero!
All I know is I have spent 10 years of my life throwing away money in residency applications year after year and begging people for interviews.
Also, I’m a us citizen and people tell me that I will match, but it has been 10 years and I don’t see any light at the end of the tunnel even after getting a masters degree from one of the most prestigious Ivy League uni in the US and getting a good lor from the chairman. This year I did not even get 1 interview, only rejections! I just feel no matter what I do, I can never compensate for my low scores... I’m so lost and broken...
Hello everyone, I was in a similar boat as you guys and matched in 2015 after a few years of trying.

Matching for IMGs is getting more and more challenging but not impossible. I just wanted to say to not lose hope if this is what you really want to do.

One thing I would like to highlight is Step 3. Step 3 with a good score will put your application in the competitive file. Also for old graduates, doing observerships can help you with an interview and if you impress Attendings and Residents during observerships then your chances of an interview is really good. If you have an attempt, it is not the end of the world as long as you can show the program you are a competitive applicant.

As it is already December, you may have a chance of matching in SOAP (although small). I would focus on Step 3 and try to get some observerships in residency programs where you are interested in applying. Attend medical conferences (e.g. AAFP in Kansas City held every year for students) and make contacts so that you have a chance of getting an interview. Try to stay active in medicine because you will have to explain your gaps during and after residency. Residency is more than just scores and your CV. Remember it only takes one really good interview to match!

Good luck everyone!
@ Drpepper4u, thank you for sharing your experience. It truly is a struggle. I'm glad things turned out well and you ended up matching. The entire process is so stressful.
It only gets harder every year. Exceptions do not make the rule.
@struggling10 The point is you had interviews at one point, despite that they were from connections they are still interviews! So how do you think you performed in the interviews? The only reason I highlight this it’s because it’s different to have interviews and not to have any. Off course you shouldn’t start the journey by the exception stories but focus on the things that you think prevented you from matching. To my opinion I think once you have the interviews you’re in the same playing field. You had those, so just think what is making them not rank you! Just my 2 cents...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »