Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
no invites - hopeless2919
@Hopeless2919:

Take your time, I need time too to organize things up before i go through step 3 journey.

contact me once your ready.

@hopeles2919 I am happy not that I inspired you but that you are feeling better. I consider myself far from inspirational since I messed step1 but the only thing that differs me from others is the hard work, persistence and I always thought that nothing in this life is impossible. I don't care what I have to do to get it(of course within the norm) I will do it. Keep your head up, as I said you did not come this far to stay this far. Yes, life is not fair and you will fail often, but that's not a reason to stay still. I wanted to give up when I couldn't pass step 1 last year because I though if I can't pass this I cant pass the other Steps exams. I studied for that test >2 years and the fear and lack of confidence literally took over me. I felt lost, scared and ready to give up. But time passed by and I took 4 weeks off from work (don't mind me working 50 hours per week while studying). I mean with a failure already what are 4 weeks going to help me right?! But anyhow, I took step 1 at the end of January 2018, can you believe it that tomorrow I am sitting for step 3? Neither can I. My point is, if I would have given up at that time, I wouldn't have known that I can pass the other steps on the first try in a very short time and while working also. Not that I am a genius or anything of that kind but I was confident, I asked my self weather I am using all my capability and potentials? Keep moving forward my friend, this process is tough, stressful but your resilience and hard work can beat it. Scores are a part of application not the entire application. Please everyone, throw in a little prayer for me tomorrow since I am taking Step3 and happy thanksgiving everyone.
Stay classy!
@kukal, thumbs up for your confidence level and good luck for your step3, at least you are going to finish this journey by giving step3, I haven't had that guts yet....keep it up!
Happy thanks giving!! keep in touch.
To be honest if your CV is so bad that you’re not getting interviews, taking step 3 is not going to change things. If you see that Program Director Dashboard software you would understand what I’m talking about.
@jjrodz true, probably it won't help but for sure it won't harm either if I get it out of the way. I know what you are talking about!! My step 1 is the only red flag honestly, so passing step 3 not necessarily will make up for it but at least I can say that I did whatever I could do to improve my application. Who knows, if it comes down to choose between 2 "bad" applicants, having step 3 done would definitely put you first.
Peace!!!
@jjrodz: Thats not true, one of my friend's has great scores plus extensive research publications with no IV's. Oppositely, I know someone with attempts who applied this season who has a few IV's. Others who were unsuccessful their first time applying for match, took step 3 and then matched. I agree step 3 is not necessary but it shows that 1) you've completed the necessary boards 2) PD doesn't have to worry about you failing step 3. Therefore, it doesn't harm your application nor its pointless.
Yes there are factors that can play a role in getting IV's but you mentioned "if your CV is so bad that you’re not getting interviews" is irrelevant for this discussion. Unless you're a PD who is reviewing CV's here, we don't need useless input.
Well friends, so far whoever I have asked (residency coordinators, faculty members etc) have said that passing step 3 is really important for those with " bad cv that you haven't even gotten an IV". It is important for the reasons mentioned above, again that is not going to substitute or make up for any low step score, but if you have just one bad usmle step experience and the others are ok and you have passed step3 , then there is no questions as far as you passing other exams while in residency. Believe me I didn't feel like a superhero neither had time to study for it, but I listened to other people who are actively reviewing applications and sat for the exam. And also I do have friends with 200 on step 1, 210 on step 2 and had 6 interviews last year (crazyyyy isn't is?). Every case is different of course, but if you can, take Step 3. If it doesn't help then for sure it won't harm either and you can focus on improving other stuff in your CV.
Thank you kukal for your all your help & input!!
I'm currently chief resident and I'm interviewing candidates. My input here might matter a little. Wink
Hi jjrodz,
Any advice for us for Psychiatry interview?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »