Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Residency and medical license - img919

Hi.....I am an old img planning to apply next season .I am not be eligible for medical license in many states with 7 year rule for usmle....but few states like NY do not have 7 year rule.... My question is .....can I apply or do residency in states with 7 year rule.???.....do you need medical license to complete residency??...is it essential to be eligible for that state medical licenseure in order to start residency there?.....or is it meaningless to apply in states with 7 year rule..or... should the application be just limited to states with greater than 7 year time frame to do Usmle where I may be fit for the medical license later.?.... please help..... thanks...
From what I understand, you do need a medical license to practice medicine including residency. I would contact each State Medical Board with your specific question and explain your circumstance as each State is different. Good luck!
Thanks @drpepper4u.....as you have mentioned it is kind of state specific..........i read some where that some states for e.g....like Illinois give a temporary license for residents for training......which i suppose does not need full eligibility criteria same as the permanent license........(Please correct if i am wrong).....does that mean the candidate can do the residency on that state...despite not being eligible for the full/permanent license there......

thanks for the response..................
Yes, residency programs usually sponsor a temporary training medical license during residency and the criteria for a permanent medical license is different.

However I am not certain about your question: "does that mean the candidate can do the residency on that state... despite not being eligible for the full/permanent license there......" This is something I would ask each State medical board because each circumstance is different and each State is different.

Even if a state needs a temporary license to work as a resident, the requirements will be the same as the permanent license. Apply for residency in states where you are eligible for permanent license (New York, Florida, etc.…….)
Thanks @drpepper4u and @claritycardinal...............

may b it wont be wise to apply in states with 7 year rule........if temporary and permanent licensing criteria are more or less the same.............thanks!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »