Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FM Clinical rotation, job, ... - samira6254
Hi guys!
I am looking for getting clinical experience in the field of Family medicine anywhere and I could not find any. I have wasted a lot of money with the STUPID FAKE company for getting externship experience and I am near bankrupsy after 3 years of applying for residency and getting only one iv.

I deeply appreciate any advice,.. for getting experience, any medical assistant position, CDS,...

Thanks
These externships you completed, were they part of the ACGME residency program in-patient experience? Or it was done at a private practice where the doctor has affiliations to the hospital? Unless the attending you worked with is a faculty in the residency program or close friend with the PD, then the LOR and the experience has less weight since it would be a bluebook rotation. There are not that many greenbook externships available except for a few sites I believe but unfortunately, you have to go via those private companies and pay little higher prices for the inpatient acgme programs.

Secondly, this is from my IM clerkship director who said that MA position for Medical School graduates doesn't look that great but rather involve in research if possible during gap years or complete few externships but again have to be very cautious in regards to the sites.

The best thing you can do is to be involved in clinical research, get done with Step 3 preferably with a good score. Also if your graduation date is >3yrs then it gets enough tougher. If you are in this scenario then you have to play it smart but first finding medical scribe positions that are associated with the residency program, or working in a clinic as a medical scribe where the doctor is also a faculty in the residency program. This can help you get an interview at the program. It is all about making connections.

Also, some of the residency programs may offer observerships but again this won't help with LOR but rather making connections and possibly get an interview at those sites. You have to do your research and a bunch of emails and phone calls. This would be time-consuming but worth the try.

It all depends on a case by case scenario. But again have you taken Step 3 yet?
@samira6254: Agree with med786.

A lot of residency programs do offer observerships where you can make connections with program directors, faculty and residents for interviews. Usually you would have to pay in order to get the observership. As an old graduate you probably cannot do any more clinical rotations but observerships would be your best option, which will likely not count as clinical experience. It will however keep you active in medicine.

You can also try to work with a private family physician's office where you can gain experience depending where you live.

As med786 mentioned, you can also work as a medical scribe in the ER or private practice if you live in the US.

Good luck!
Thank you very much for your help Med786 and Drpepper4u. Yes I did take step 3 about 6 months ago.

Whom should I email regarding observership in a program? Program Directr, Coordinator, Faculty?
@samira6254: Usually residency programs will list helpful tips for medical students on their websites and who to contact if you are interested in rotations or observerships. If none then you can email the program coordinator to ask who you can speak to about an observership. Observerships may cost money so I would choose programs where you may have a chance of an interview (like IMG friendly, etc.)

Good luck!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »