Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If both of you are doctors, who will take care of - life098
My cousin and his wife just welcomed their new baby, but both of them are full time physicians. Since they signed a contract with the hospital for 4 years they can't really change their set hours. Now the question is who will take care of the baby after maternity leave is over?
They both will come home tired and one will have to sacrifice their sleep or burden their family to take care of their kids while they work. I don't think that's fair to the kid to be away from both parents all day and only see them at night.

How do 2 doctors manage their family life?

Now this makes me wonder if doctor's should seek partners outside of medical field so that one of them can at least be available for the kids.
Here are some couple example I know

Male surgeon, female pediatrician--> she stopped practicing
Male radiation on, female orthopedist--> she stopped
Male dentist, female family doc-->she stopped
Male ophtho, female opto--> she stopped

This does not include the ones who go part time in 2 doc couples, who are almost always female. Hey, it's a free country.

I know a lot of female docs and only two are full time and they are both miserable.
This is very simple. You could sponsor visa for your parents for until contract over for extra help.( I have lot of examples in my own family) Take it easy.
Classic case of wanting the cake and the pudding. Which is more important? Intelligent people are making informed decisions lets hope.
Most doctors who want both the cake and the pudding, get outside help.
Hired help. Some get free help from parents (Cake, pudding and ice cream).
My husband matched into fellowship in third year of neurology residency. I had my son towards the end of 4th year, so my husband decided to sacrifice fellowship and took up a job which was week on and week off. He chose to do this in order to have quality time with the baby and also to meet the financial needs. Coming to my part, I started giving my steps right after the delivery along side of doing rotations. We did get help from my mom in the first 6 months and also hired a nanny whenever necessary. Life is not a cake walk. Everybody has ups and downs, at the same time every problem has a solution. There are several ways to solve this without putting baby bonding at jeopardy and lead a non-chaotic family life.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »