Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for US IMG - planten
Hey guys. IMG here currently trying to find USCE. I have pretty low scores (210's for both steps, and 1 failure on step 1) which almost convinced me to quit. But an upperclassman of mine convinced me to try so anyways as she has heard dozens of people with worst scores and multiple attempts still matching despite no prior contacts in the US. Unfortunately, that same Doctor suffered a personal tragedy recently so while I am still in contact with her, I feel a little ashamed when I think of asking her for more help. So now I would like to ask if there is still a chance for an IMG like me to get into residency once I get some USCE, and if yes, is it ok to contact the program directors themselves instead of the people they point to if you have questions about the program when I try to ask about externship opportunities?
US IMG and old grad here. Been applying for the match since 2010 with no success. My scores are similar to yours but I do not have any attempts. Since 2010, I have had only 3 interviews, 2 of them through contacts. My resume has all the bells and whistles you can possibly think of, volunteering, USCE, research, publications. I also graduated with a masters degree and got the chairman's LOR. Applied this year and 0 interviews.
Looking back, I regret wasting my life over this quest only. I should have started working on the side just to build an alternate career path as plan B. My advice for you is to try to get paid USCE, even if it is a medical assistant job or a research assistant job. This will help u build an alternate career path (plan B) if u fail to match. Good luck!
Yes you will be having still chances of matching you need to get continuous hands-on rotations which shows that you are clinically active and can get strong LORs. You can contact programs directly and you can get through agencies
As you are an old grad you need to get make your CV strong and complete step3 exam it can help the application for increasing the chances of matching. Also try to make connections it can help your application.
From a Program Coordinator - I think the issue you and @struggling10 are experiencing is the score minimum filter pulling you out of the applications being reviewed. All programs use these filters, as we receive over 4,000 applications each year and there is no way to review that many applications. Like it or not, there are minimum requirements for scores and graduation year. The only way to overcome that and have your application reviewed would be with a connection asking the program to review. Unfortunately, even that does not guarantee an interview. Don't waste your time with paid observerships. The LOR's are usually templates and the time during observerships are not looked upon by program directors as much of anything, which is why I never recommend spending money on them.
@smartpc, I agree. I think I'm being filtered out due to low scores. I dont go past the score filter and that is why no program director wants to even consider the other positive aspects of my application such as my research experience, publications and LOR from chairman.
As for making contacts, I have bent over backwards and done everything I could to get interviews. I even took lunch, donuts, bagels and cupcakes for these physicians I was working with to get LOR's and so they could put in a positive word for me, to get me a spot. Made connections with some residents, who ended up abusing me. And even after trying so hard, this year I have 0 interviews. I'm extremely shattered and have no motivation left. This was my last year and I have no funds left to apply again. 10 years of my life, down the drain!
@struggling10 - I am so sorry you have spent so much time and funds on matching. If you want my honest advice, I would recommend PA school for you. If you truly want to take care of patients, this is a route for you. Unfortunately, even with a good word from a physician will not guarantee an interview or ranking if you have an interview. Many programs grant "courtesy" interviews for those applicants who do not meet criteria. The program may interview you to appease the physician, however if your scores and year of graduation are out of the program's criteria, you may be ranked at the bottom or not at all. While programs will look at research and publications during an interview, it cannot make up for years away from graduation and out of the hands on clinical practice. So, if I were you, I would pick myself up by the bootstraps and apply to PA school. It may not be the outcome you always dreamed of, but sometimes we need to adjust our dreams to fit reality. It would be better to continue as a PA and care for patients than work at McDonald's!
Thats true. During one of my previous interview, that I got through a contact, the program director said "your scores are low and it would be unfair to other applicants we have interviewed who have higher scores, if we rank you higher than them".
But many people still kept telling me to keep trying just coz they "heard so and so matched with low scores and old yog". So I continued my journey and ended up with 0 interviews this season.
I have come to a conclusion, nothing can replace high scores, not even green card or publications or research experience or masters degree.
@struggling10 - I don't doubt there are applicants who are out of the maximum 5 years since graduation, with low scores and attempts who match. The issue is, they are not the norm. Your scores are not a reflection of what type of doctor you will be, but unfortunately they will keep your application from being reviewed in ERAS, may keep you low on the rank list, and as each year passes you get farther away from your graduation date. It's a vicious circle. I am not trying to discourage you or any other applicant from perusing his/her dream. If an applicant has the financial means and the ability to emotionally keep trying, then do so. I am only trying to give you the realities of the application process from a program perspective from a person who works with applicants year in and year out.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »