Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Didnt Match/SOAP last year but still found spot - surgdoc3425
I am an IMG. I did not match last year and got no calls during SOAP. I was able to find an open position early April in a residency program that turned out to be really great!

It is okay to be sad if you do not match, but you still have to search every place possible for an opening. Match is not the only way to get a residency, especially for IMGs. I noticed there were quite a few open positions the end of march and also in April. Not everybody who matched will be able to start so spots open up and there are always new spots being added to residency programs so keep your ears and eyes open. Tell everybody you know to inform you if they hear anything. Tell all your friends and family to spread the word that you are looking as well.

Be Strong!
Hi!
Thank you for encouraging.
How would you find out there are new spots being added to the residency program if someone is not able to start on time? Where do you look for that info?
Thank you in advance.
yes plz tell us the websites or places or find out about them.. thx!
The most important thing is letting everyone you know (other med students, residents, attending, people who wrote your LORs, and even family/friends) that you did not match and are looking for a spot. If anyone hears anything, you want them to contact you first. I also would check the aamc list of new programs and then search for those programs to see if any new info was added on their websites. Programs have a hard time reaching every single applicant so it is up to you to do the leg-work. I also did needaresident.com (which is what eventually worked for me) and residencyswap.com (better for pgy-2s or if you already have a resdiency and want to swap). Programs don't always post their openings, but may contact these sites or certain schools to send mass emails to students to let them know they have a spot. THAT REMINDS ME- Contact the Graduate Affairs person at your School WEEKLY and also Professors! I would get at least 1 email a week from my school about a spot that opened up. Have your CV and transcripts ready to email because you have to email them the second you hear about the opening. With soo many applicants, a lot has to do with first come, first serve before the program stops looking at applications.

Also, I am an IMG and applied Surgery and IM. I applied Surgery and FM during SOAP and got nothing. I ended up finding a spot in a Surgery program that initially fully matched so you never know!
Thank you for the info! Will try to figure something out.
Thank you, I know people get spots outside of match and after soap. My medical school does not seem to be helpful at all right now.
Congratulations surgdoc3425 . I wanted to know which transcrips do you email the program? The usmle transcript or the medical school transcript? my email adress is vids1234. Can you please add me??
Ive been sending both because they are both going to be required parts of application anyway.
Thank you for encouragement.

May I ask what is the USMLE transcript and how we can get it to send to the program?

Thank you.
However it does not say how they get the list of unfilled positions, does any one know how?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »