Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
should I apply now????? - desperate_img
hi there
IMG, YOG 2017, STEP1 250, no USCE
planning to take step2 ck in early august and step 2cs in june...should I apply in september or my CV is too weak?
plz give your honest opinion coz i am in a terrible dilemma...inerested in IM
thanks
To Img,

No not now, no USCE is a big red flag. The step score is very good, but if you don’t have USCE it is very likely you don’t get in anywhere. Take this year to boost your USCE experience.
Yeah you will need atleast some USCE..I am guessing you will do well on step 2 as well, so scores will not be an issue for you..Look up hospitals in NY which offer USCE and do them ~ 6 months..u should be good!
If you are blocking out 4 months for your steps. And only get 1 month of USCE right after your test... you are likely not to get in.
My best advice is do a rotation in May before your cs, it will prepare you for the test and count as USCE.
thank you guys all so much for your time and your useful advice!! My only worry is the time from my YOG(2017)..but i will try to be methodical and not do things in rush
Along with the scores you need to have strong CV which you can gain by having multiple hands-on rotations, also along with the clinical experience you will be provided with strong US LORs which are important for the residency application.
hands-on is not available for the graduates...so observerships is the only way
Hands on is available for graduates. As long as you have your degree. If you don’t Observerships is the only option.
what do you mean if i have a degree???since i am a graduate i do have a medical degree...or do you mean the ECFMG certificate?
how can i have hands on experience??plz dont tell me again about those agencies ....they all send you in private clinics and its very unlikely that you can practice there
@desperate_img Hands-on are available for graduates, you can gain externship after graduation itself.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »