Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My match experience and my advice to all IMGs - braveheart_2020
Hi Braveheart. I am a US/IMG who is in similar situation like you but I was working in cardiac research. I have been struggling for >5 years to get into residency. Is there a way to get research fellowship and get paid in neurology even if you have no prior experience. It is not possible to do free, I have done this for many years previously. Do you have an email address?
Hi Lionhope

Unfortunately with no prior experience in Neurology, it is unlikely to start with paid job right away. If epilepsy is a field of interest for you, would be best to take one of the epilepsy courses in Cleveland "free courses" with certificate of completion upon finishing it. You can either take the 3 months summer course at Cleveland clinic or two months epilepsy course at UH-Cleveland medical center. After that stay as a research fellow at UH for 6 months at least to learn how to read EEGs and learn about epilepsy classification. If you did that, an opportunity for clinical fellowships in epilepsy "paid fellow's salary" would be feasible afterward based on the state of your interest "50-60k dollars". You can also try to apply for clinical fellowships in epilepsy directly after the EEG courses, and see if you would be able to get something.

I don't know much about cardiology, but with 5 years of research as you have had, you should be able to get something paid. Search for cardiologists directly at multiple hospitals, look for their bio and see their publications, look for those who have done researches similar to what you have done so far, and contact them. When you email them, share with them briefly that you are US citizen, and your research experience in 2 lines, and describe your interest in joining as a researcher. Don't write big email because they will nor read massive size email from someone they don't know yet.
Thanks Braveheart for replying to me. I do not need a research job in cardiology, it is not hard with experience. I have a research background (numerous publications) and know biostatistics. I have not found doctors who wanted to help me. I agree with many of your statements.

Your story is extremely interesting and inspiring. I want to do more work which is clinical. The clinical fellowships expose you to more people in the department. Do you think I can work as researcher in neurology departments and get paid and learn to complete the courses for EEG on the side? Then afterwards apply for fellowships. Please let me know what you think.
You are welcome, I understand what you feel since I have felt it before.

The one in Cleveland is unpaid, however, it is the place to learn EEG. One thing you may need to know is, any new place you move to is like starting from scratch. Cleveland can write letters to you, but really they wouldn't support much for residency. All the research fellows I met there matched elsewhere in the country except those who were otherwise qualified with very high USMLE scores and fresh graduates who were able to match with or without that EEG training.

After obtaining that experience, you can get clinical fellowships in epilepsy "non-ACGME accredited " in places where they usually end up being unfilled in term of fellowship positions. So,they try to fill them up with graduates who can act as fellows and do the required job.
Many places like in Michigan/Illinois/ North Carolina/ New York/Texas and other places offer such positions, however, none will be welling to give you proper teaching about how to read EEGs. The teaching I have received was from Cleveland, and it was the reason behind me learning it properly.

In term of residency support, you are more likely to get residency support after doing clinical fellowship.

So to summarize, the pathway I am proposing to get residency hopefully will take 2 years of work at least, the first of which will be unpaid "the research year in Cleveland to establish foundation in EEG", and another year to work as a clinical fellow and impress the faculty.

Epilepsy is just an example, you can always apply to other fields such as "Neuroimmunology/Autonomic..etc".
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »