Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Dermatology Resident Needs Help and Advice - skinner
Hello,
I am currently a final year Dermatology resident in my home country (Turkey), expected completion time of residency training is August 2021. My year of graduation is 2016, GPA 3,49/4,00. USMLE Step 1 score was 258 (June 2015), USMLE Step 2 CK score was 268 (November 2015). I didn’t take USMLE Step 2 CS. I have no US clinical experience.
When it comes to English language proficiency, i’m relatively better on the issues of writing and especially reading but need practice on listening and speaking (fair but not ‘’so’’ fluent). Probably i can’t get the minimum required score from the Occupational English Test without a comprehensive preparation.
I especially desire to be a Dermatologist in the US, but this is also one of the most competitive residencies. So i have to compromise my future route to Internal medicine > Family medicine > Pathology from the first to the last choice.
I need advice on a few issues;
1) Since USMLE Step 2 CS has been suspended, we IMGs need to apply pathways in order to join the matching. As i understand, i must apply for pathway 1 or 2. Which pathway should i apply?
2) Since i’m close to be a Dermatologist in my home country, will year of graduation and ‘’no USCE’’ situation still be red flags for me?
3) Is still there that ‘’7 year rule’’ (all USMLE steps must be taken within 7 years)? If so, the deadline for me is June 2022 and i have only 1 year and 2 months to obtain ECFMG certificate.
4) Is it logic for me to go for Dermatology or should i go for other residencies which i listed above?
5) Is it hard to find a J-1 waiver job after completing the Pathology residency training?
6) Is it logic for me to pursue US residency or sholud i give up? If you advise on pursuing, then which steps should i follow? (Is there any chance for me?)
Thank you for all advices in advance.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »