Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will I ever match? IMG friendly programs? - oneday02
I have been working to collect money to pay for each board exam and for my school fees because I only had support of my single mother with 3 other kids. My school would always block me from going to next level until I paid them by putting a hold on my financial account. This made me prolong my education in medical school for 5 extra years and caused me to get low scores on my steps due to very limited time to study.

Can anyone please look at my stats and tell me if it's possible for me to match or give any other advice?

I'm a U.S. citizen, completed all my rotations/clinical work in US (LORs: 3 FM + 3 IM + 3 Peds), will be ECFMG certified soon. I have Step 1 in 200s range and step 2 is in 210s and CS attempt. I have work experience at a clinic. 1 published research paper.

I don't know how to get out of this situation. I have no guidance, no contacts.
I fear I already spent so much time getting to this point, I don't know how much more time it will take me.

I am looking for IMG friendly FM and IM program list to figure out where I will have better chance. But where do I get the list if Frieda is closed? Can someone please send me the program list of IMG friendly programs.

Any good resources for interviews? My interview skills are bad. I get nervous while speaking.

How do I write great personal statement? I feel my PS isn't expressing my journey properly. It just looks like another girl with struggles. How do I stand out?

email = goldstarz09@yandex.com

Thank you
Don't worry, we all go through hard times. We can all support each other in anyway possible. I can guide you on personal statement and interview.

Your email is not working for me.
Yeah, I can't login to my email for some reason.

You can send me a message on skype - goldstarz09
Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the difficulties you have had. You are so close though!

I will send you some links that hopefully will help you find the IMG friendly programs you are looking for. In addition, here is some other information that may be helpful for you, based on your questions about the personal statement and the interview.

https://www.fsmb.org (federal state medical board- which publishes state-specific requirements for medical licensure. Make sure to check their website in advance as you don't want to waste your time and money applying in states that limit training permits or recognize fewer international medical schools than the full list of World Directory of Medical Schools)

https://services.aamc.org/eras/erasstats/par/index.cfm Applicants can find “Assignment Checklist” for each program applied to. See link hereof all the 2020 Programs and Specialities (put in your specialty and this will link you to all institutions that are offering residency placements. You can click on each institution to go to their website)

https://www.acgme.org (The Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education offers a residency directory)

https://www.aafp.org/students-residents/...uates.html (general info for IMGs)

For most residency programs, the personal statement is a key factor in their choice of candidates. You’ll have to write a separate residency personal statement for each specialty you apply to, but not for each program, so it's important to adhere to any word or character count stated in the program-specific instructions.

The description might offer direct or indirect indications as to what this program likes to see in their candidates. Does the program stress public service or research? Does it seem to highlight specific qualities like interpersonal skills, or academic prowess? Perhaps the description questions candidates’ level of commitment, ability to handle pressure, and communication skills? Decide accordingly what the main message of this description is and what kind of impression you want to make. Create a strong connection between your candidacy and the program.

Next, your statement needs to answer why you want to pursue a particular specialty. Remember, your personal statement is not a recitation of your CV, instead, it's an opportunity to discuss who you are as a person, how your experiences have led you to apply, and why you are a suitable candidate for the position. You'll need a strong, unique introduction, evidence filled body paragraphs, and a conclusion that ties everything together and leaves program directors wanting to learn more about you.

Interviews can be daunting. There are a few common questions that are asked at many interviews. The following are likely:
- Tell us about yourself
- Why are you interested in our program?
- Why are you interested in this specialty?
- Tell me a time when X (often this can be having a challenge, making a mistake, etc).

Of course you may be asked some more technical questions as well, which would be specific to your field. You can also be asked a scenario question (ex. what would you do in a certain situation?), and other quirky type questions (ex. if you won the lottery what would you do with the money?)

Students often have trouble with the personal questions that seem open ended. We suggest laying out only 3 or so experiences in the "tell me about yourself" question, because they will already have your CV. Try to go deeper into these and show how each experience has helped shape you and bring you to this program. Similarly, for "why this specialty?", try to choose a few reasons that are very specific. You must do your homework to prove that you are excited and determined to learn more about this specialty. Ideally as well, you want to show that your past experiences link up to the program's mission and values, and that you are a good fit. Finally, for "why this program", again, choose 2-3 reasons that highlight your interest and link these to your own past experiences that prove expertise in these areas.

For questions where you are asked to explain a specific example from your past we suggest giving some context and then explaining how you overcame the situation, what you learned from the experience, and then how you will carry this lesson forward into the program and your future career. Try to turn negative questions into positive learning outcomes.

And first and last impressions count a lot. Ensure to state the interviewers’ names back to them when you thank you at both the beginning and end of the interview.

Finally, it is best to get expert feedback and practice as much possible!

Best of luck!

Thank you so much bemo for the information.

Good luck oneday02.. I wish you all the best.. please don't get disappointed.
I may be able to provide you with some guidance.

Email me at mdhelper281

Thank you very much.... I was busy helping out a clinic and didn't check back here. I really appreciate your help guys.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »