Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sad experience -
Sad experience

FMGs, prepare for your exam thoroughly, otherwise you will pass it with low score and have a very hard time finding a residency position. Don't hurry, take your time!!!
sympathy

I personally know someone who is > 40s and also has just pass scores in both step 1 and 2 (she even took step 2 twice) but she got a residency in a community hospital in NY. Not bad, ha... The bottom line is that if your score is low but you have to have experience working in medical field in US (eg. medical research) long enough and have publicaitons in medical journals. Think about this, if you are FMG and living in outside US and has low scores, who is going to offer you a residency (hospital has to pay for your visa), there are so many available in the market. What I mean is that you have to prepare some alternative in case your score is low and you still want to get a spot
FMG

I have a citizenship, clinical research and externship in the US, all other stuff people claim to be helpful. No residency for three yrs. I am exhausted by my search. If you have low scores, you are unlikely to get interviews, and in the few interviews that you have, you will behave as if it were your last chance. PD's don't like it. I came to this forum to tell you the sad truth. You can change things, to some extent. People who passed the exams, can't re-take them any more.
Raymond - raymonddewri

Please don't worry about the low scores. It's easy to blame on the low scores if you don't get a spot in residency. You have to balance your application with other materials that makes you an unique applicant, may it be research/volunteer experience. You may consider to sit for your Step III in the meantime and try to achieve a higher score. Good luck in your future. You may get knocked down, but your success all depends on how many times you can get up and try again.
Sad experience

Raymond, you can read my message. I have everything that you mentioned. I also passed Step3. Keep in mind that Step 3 for FMGs is not even in ECFMG transcript, you just mention , if you passed it, in "miscellaneous", along with your other less important stuff. My recommendation is on this forum, because you can make a difference. I know many cases when ppl with low scores found residency positions, but you don't always know how they did it, and what was the price. If you have a good score, you are, at least, likely to get more interviews. Otherwise, you don't pass the "score screening" in many programs, as nobody will bother to read your other credentials. Keep in mind that if a program coordinator tells you, "we don't have any minimum score requirements", that often means that they just don't make such requirements public. Good luck.
sympathy

I understood what you said but it is unpredictable if you can get a high score or not. If you have to live with a low score, I think there is still a chance but you have to work hard to change the situation with a different strategy to sell youself. The best thing to do is to get a spot in a pristigeous teaching hospital and work as an assistant to a MD. Beleive me it will work if you really mean it.
Sad experience

That's absolutely true that not everything depends on us. However, there is a good correlation between your efforts and time in preparation, and your scores. Beyond doubts, the selection of good review sources is of utmost importance, as well as keeping track of the most recent trends in USMLE Steps. Thanks G-d, I managed to get a decent score on Step 3, but it can't compensate for low scores in Step 1/ 2. And you are right, I have to live with it, often better said than done.
Residency with low scores

was shocked yesterday when I got my step1 score. I knew from Oasis that I had
passed, and also only had about 2 months to prepare, but as an IMG I always had
top scores and now I only got 78! My case is probably different to most other´s, since
I already have concrete residency offers based on my academic credentials. I was
asked by the PD to "just pass, that will be fine", but still I feel bad for such a low
score.

The reason why I am posting this is to tell other people that I have clearly
underestimated step1 and almost failed. In my preparation on qbank etc. I was
always very good in Behav Science, and in the exam I did horrible on this (because I
did not study it hard enough!).

Another reason to share this with others is to tell people that you can get your dream
residency with a low score, but only if you have an outstanding publication record with
an active international participation in the research field of your designated residency.
It probably also helped in my case that I already have the board exam in my field
from Germany and that I am still in my early 30s.
Sad experience

Yes, you have a very different situation. I understand your feelings. However, you are lucky enough to have excellent credentials, and, what is most important, a residency position. After you complete your residency training, your score will not be of any importance. My message was for those grads whose chance is much more dependent on their scores than yours.
sympathy

my philosophy is "hope for the best but prepare for the worst"
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »