Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
residency -
lakshmi

hi!
does it help to know someone here in the usa to get into residency. i mean like a doctor well settled here? and if it does how can they help us?
IMG

Well settled here means where?
lakshmi

well settled means one who has been here quite long and who is a head of the dept in a hospital
IMG

The only way they can help you is to put a good word for you. Otherwise, you will spend one year or even more doing research, observership etc. only to get excellent reference letters that could only help in the hospital where they were written. But even there, they grant you an interview, and it is very likely that on Match Day you will find a very dissapointing information. Do not allow them to abuse the very competitive situation!
lakshmi

you mean to say doing observership is futile? i mean will that reco letter not have any worth at all in getting into a residency program in some other hospital. or is it just one step better than nothing at all?1!!!!
IMG

I mean to say that unless you have good USMLE scores and/or your reference letters are written by someone who is recognized in your specialty nationwide, you need someone to put a good word for you. And of course, that letter should specify that you worked really closely with that nationwide authority. I just don't want applicants to volunteer as a research assistant/a medical interpreter/ an extern only to get nothing but excellent reference letters. Please keep in mind that:
1.Observership or clinical research is not regarded as a direct clinical experience that sometimes can help you to get a position.
2. Externship may be regarded as a direct clinical experience, but it doesn't guarantee that you get a position. I know some cases when FMG performed duties as residents without any compensation only to get those excellent letters.
naser - usamamd

I am IMG i got 79 in step 1 and 78 in step 2
I applied through ERAS three years i didn't get even an interviw.
Is there any hope to get any residency? Can anybody advise me how i deal ? Thanks in advance
sbendre

hi,
have you tried doing an observership, externship, research rotation. All of these help a lot. Try changing your field of application-say from IM to family practice or any other field that usually goes unmatched.
SB
anta

If you still want IM, why not try the scramble also. There are many, many unfilled positions in IM. You could also apply to those places that were unfilled last year. To get the unfilled positions list, go to www.scutwork.com Good luck!
lucy - yanlei2000

Does any one has the post match experiences? Please share with me. I am waiting for the post match. How can I apply for it?

I appreciate your advices.

Lucy
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »