Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
inquiry about radiology -
pradeep

hi,

i am a medical student from Madras and want to become interventional radiologist in USA. what should I due to increase my chances. i have not taken any usmle, but expect i could get over 250 to 260 is that enought to become radiologist in USA.

TY
pradeep

please someone answer me
nono

it's not the score...
radiology is extremely difficult to get....it's in big demand with the US students
u may try getting a transitional year...and then u might get thru
pradeep

does it work to do family practice or medicine then apply to radiology?
what things are open to non US citizens?
if an IMG is a better candidate do they still pick bad US candidate first?
Halu

In my opinion first of all finish your studies, take your USMLE, in the meantime try to come to the USA (during Summer vacation)and do some volunteer job in the dept.of radiology any where in the USA, off course before coming to the USA read some papers regarding your field. In this way you will get first hand knowledge of your field, dept. of radiology will also come to know you and your work, may be during your volunteer work you will also be able to give some gifts to your supervisors (Carpets, Arazzo, some antique furniture, believe me it will help you a lot and these things are also found here, in this country they call them " donations" etc.)
So through your hospital get in contact with some hospital in the USA but before that try to practice interventional radiology in some private clinic in India or in some govt. hospital.
Keep on working very hard.
Bye
IMG

I don't think the part about "donations" applies...
Observership - yes, US experience - yes, fat scores - yes... but "donations"... come on!!
nono

hey
the donations thing is hogwash...
but yes...clout does work....which means if the program director wants u as a resident....he is the final authority...
But with prematch gone....you never know.

Scores for radio must be in the 97 to 99 range preferably for all 3 steps...if u get something in 80s or early 90s...u'll have to struggle a lot...... (only IMGS-- US students/ GC holders?citizens do get thru on lower score...i mean comparitively lower)

Remember 3 things......Externship with elective in Radiology
(if ur yet to finish ur internship), Observerships
and Transitional year

They will not pick a really poor US candidate ...(hey! it's difficult to get radiology even for a US candidate..only the best apply..face it....everybody wants to get the maximum amt of money for the least amt of work )

but they will always want to save Visa processing money....so do offer to pay the fees for your own visa...(it's somewhere in the range of a few thousand dollars)

There is another option...u could do a masters in something connected to radiology before trying for a residency...u'll have to find out what to do a masters in.

The main thing is keep your goals clear....you're going to be in a foreign country...not everybody will treat u right...ppl will call you everything from a starving paki to an irani weakling......some will even doubt your medical credentials....shrug these off....don't let it get u angry....when u show them you're good ..all the doubts will dwindle away
My IMG friend donated $40,000 and got into rad residency. Donation works!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »