Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
scored 77 in step 1, what should i do???? -
sand

Hello guys, after studying so hard for step1 I landed up with 76, what are the ways I can rescue myself?? Really feel totally doomed!!! Pl. give me some picture....can't even sleep at nights...forget about studying for step 2 at this state.
fmg

hello sand,

u cant really go back and correct it. try to collect urself and start studying for step 2. if u score real high score in that, u can make up. even otherwise, u can make it up if u can build ur extra credentials and improve ur resume....there are 101 ways to join residency...dont bother....good luch for ur step 2
Sathish - sbabun

Hi Sand,
You have 4 ways of salvaging your state

1. Try to score above 90 in steps 2 & 3

2. Do some lab based with clinical implication-research and publish 1-2 papers about your research in peer reviewed journals.

3. Try and explain strongly why you fared badly in step 1 when you have exceptional scores in steps 2 & 3

4. THE LAST RESORT IS TRY AFTER 7 YEARS AND RETAKE YOUR STEPS,THIS IS GRUESOME BUT THIS IS STILL AN OPTION.

good luck

Sathish
London

usmed

No Probs. I know this FMG who scored 76 in Step 1 and 77 in Step 2. And guess what...this FMG got residency in Family Practice in Kentucky for 2004. So there is hope. Of course you may not get Dermatology or Radiology. But FP is still an option. Good luck.
sand

Thanks for the desperately required encouragement.
usmed

Hi! Sand,

I must advise you to totally ignore comments by individuals like Sathish. He sounds like a street smart who gives comments with no first hand experience. ....Just imagine he is in London....but is desperate to come to USA. He even applied to the US immigration for a visa/GC.
The joker does not know that all that will matter now will be your Step 2 score. Most programs ask you to write Step 3 before you move to the 3rd Yr. The joker does not realize that #4 is not an option. Do you think that would be an option for you? Absolutely not.
So focus on Step 2 and I will not be surprised if you end up in a residency program even if your Step 2 score is 78. Not that I am advising you to aim for 78. Aim for 99 but don't get discouraged if you get less than what you aimed for.
My advice is based upon a true life incident....see first response. I do agree however that higher scores significantly improve the chance of getting into a residency program. On the other hand, low scores do not absolutely ruin your chances of getting into a residency program. Some programs look for the overall package. If you have a pleasing personality and you can impress the residents and program director, you will get the match because that is what that matters.
sam

many programs consider your step-3 pass/score. so, passing step-3 is definitely a plus.

this "usdoc" comments does not look professional. why he is so jealous about satish or other IMGs? i think usdoc didn't match this year, couldn't pass step-3, is running out of visa status, couldn't get green card, and jealous about others. am i correct usdoc?

usdoc, don't live in dream world. learn to appreciate others. i don't see anything wrong in satish statements. 4th option is only the last option.
usdoc

Interesting,

Seems like Sathish has several names. Sam seems to be one of them. Anyway, you mised the point. Look again. So called "Sathish" writes that sand should get more than 90 in Step 3.

He seems to be knowingly or unknowingly discouraging Sand, which is highly unprofessional. By writing such comments, he is undermining the very purpose for which this forum was created.

By telling someone who worked hard and got 77 in Step 1 and then telling him to Score over 90 in Steps 2 & 3 is overburdening the already perplexed mind. The idea is to provide a reasonable solution and not to mess it up further. It is sad that we have all these evil people in the world who pose to be nice.
Preet Kaur

Fellow med grads,

I scored 78 in Step 1 and 79 in Step 2. I got residency in Family Practice. Of course I only got 3 interview calls as compared to my friends who scored over 85 and got over 10 interviews. But I made it. Maybe I was lucky.

But if someone had suggested me to get atleast 90 in Step 2, I would not have even applied for residency for fear of not getting it. Thanks to people like usdoc who encouraged me that I still had a chance. Keep up the good work. Thanks.
FMG

Preet Kaur, usmed and usdoc are all the same names of an asshole who can't stand FMGs,guys don't give in to this,he must be a matherchoot ,some labourer's son who came to US in the early 60s -genetic trait-uh.He is such a creep and downtrodden-writes in different names-such a loser.We are bound to fare well in the US ,he can't tolerate our success,condemn that sonofabitch,we had another texmex in the recent past,he just disappeared after a royal snub,these guys never learn.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »