Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help help HBV carrier - cryingemily
I am a HBV carrier (HBeAg+), can I still be accepted as a surgical or similar field resident?
some people told me that I may not be accepted to surgical team. Some people said except dental program, no program can decline a resident for this reason. Some told me that it depends on the policy of the hospitals.

I am so desperate now, please help me.

Many thanks.
ur hbeag+.. that means ur infectious.. had u been only hbsag+ then there was a different case.. i suggest that u contact a gastroenterologist and take interferon or lamivudine to get rid of it permanently.. it can be done now and not later when u may relapse into only hbsag+
and i suggest u consider a non invasive branch like neuro or im.. bcoz althoh u may be right - do u want to take a career defining decison with a handicap like this.. and remem they may raise a case against u on this even later on. althoh technically they cannot discriminate even against an hiv+ surgeon.. dude why take the risk.. life is unpredicatable as it is..

think about it.. im sayin all this bcoz i know some1 in a similar scenario like u.. and he had switched his spec and is doin im happily now.. no offense..

apurva
Thank you so much, apurva.

I have thought about switching, but I am really not that much interested in IM. About the possiblity of law suit, somebody else has mentioned this to me, too. I really appreciate your advice and this is the point that I should consider seriously.

By the way, the person you know who swith his field, did the switch by himself or was rejected by the firist program and then was forced to switch to IM?

Thank you again.
not rejected or anythin.. he just made a smart choice.. and more than lawsuits - ur malpractice will shoot up drastically.. there has to some noninterventional branch which u will be interested in.. think and analyse.. u have plenty of time considering the fact that usmle is a long long process..

apurva
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »