Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chr.Bronchitis Q - nickmle
Which of the following spirometry profiles would most likely be seen in Chronic Bronchitis patient?
A. Decreased TLC, decreased FEV1
B. Decreased TLC, decreased RV
C. Decreased TLC, increased FEV1
D. EIevated TLC, decreased FEV1
E. NormaI TLC, decreased FEV1

D

rv increases , tlc increases and everything else decreases.. ..
sorry cd45....its a little tricky i got it wrong tooo...wanna try again?
wrong.. thats odd nickmle.. just finished doing respi a week ago..
i would still go with that
pt can breath out air, rv increases tlc increases therfore everything else decreases thats the way goljan our man explains it too.. please do explain then
well............D is right but is u say its wrong then i wud go for E
The correct answer is E. Patients with chronic bronchitis tend to have normal TLC and decreased FEV1. Patients with chronic bronchitis do not typically have the increased TLC that their counterparts with emphysema have. They may however, have a modestly increased residual volume due to air trapping distal to mucus plugs. Similarly these mucus plugs obstruct the airways, creating the obstructive component of chronic bronchitis. Hence a decreased FEV1 is noted.
Choices A and B are not typical of any common pulmonary disorder.
Choice C is consistent with restrictive lung disease. The increased fibroelastic elements in the lung parenchyma decrease the lung capacity, while allowing the airways to remain open at increasingly lower pressures. Thus, a decreased TLC is seen with an increased FEV1.
Choice D is consistent with emphysema. These patients have destruction of the fibroelastic elements of the lung. As a result, the TLC increases. With decreased elastic tissue, the airways collapse at higher airway pressures, and a decreased FEV1 is seen.

i picked D too but the answer to my surprise was E.
ohh yeaaa but spirometry cant measure tlc!!!! thanks nickmle.. good q
okkk i guessed i reasoned it wrong .. thanks anyways for the answer
thats the nice q....

thanks buddy
actually its a obstructive disease right so tht pt should have inc TLC AND dec FEV1...i still have dilemma..just thought its worth discussing..
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »