Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Rob A -
joewest

Hey Rob A,
Just a question from what you said on the other thread (radiology). Do you think you'd face any problems if you did an IM residency and after that decided to apply for radiology or another residency? I've heard a couple of people saying that you may have problems with the NIH funding for your residency salary for your second residency. Have you heard anything about that? Thanks
Rob A

Interesting point..

In Philadelphia - on an interview visit - one of the senior IM residents told me he was off to do radiology residency next. Sadly, I didn't discuss it in more detail with him.

Something else I heard which was interesting (but unrelated) is that there are no further H1B sponsorships for fellowships at all. I don't know if you've heard this too. If it was the case, people on H1 would have to begin work after their residency until their Green Card was issued and then apply, or, to switch the H1 to a J1!

joewest

Well, if that guy was going for rads after IM, then I guess it's possible. Thanks for the info.
As far as the H1 for fellowships, they do sponsor it. I have first hand information from a few programs I interviewed at, including top notch university programs. What happens is that it just makes things even more complicated. For example, if you want cards... things are already difficult without any visa issues, what to say if you ask for an H1! On the other hand, if they really want you there (eg. you're staying at the same hosp. for a fellowship, or if you apply for a noncompetitive fellowship), they can renew your H1 for another 3 years very easily. As I said, I know that for a fact.
Take care Rob A.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »