Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
to lisa -
madhu

hi there lisa .
ive been reading msgs here n wish u could guide me a bit here.
um a med student appearing for finals in oct 2005.after that rotations upto oct 2006,n id like 2 apply for residency next in the us.
can u tell me bout the steps for doing so.like when 2 give step 1 n also what r the requirements for a psy or surg residency?
lisa

You have to check if you can take your exams before the graduation (ecfmg site).
It's preferable to be ready with your steps until september and to apply to ERAS in early september-october(first 2 weeks of september are the best). This way you have more chances to get more interviews.

Psychiatry is not very competitive. You need a good LOR from your psychiatry professor that shows your real interest in this field. Your personal statement should also show your dedication to psychiatry. You also need an excellent ability to speak English. Sometimes they look for a high Toefl score.
For surgery is really difficult but not impossible if you have high scores.

Being a very recent graduate, I think they will not expect from you US clinical experience. Get ready with your exams, excellent LORs (including the dean's letter), good English and apply early.
madhu

thx a lot lisa .
ur words r really appreciated.
im also quite curious bout the life there
can u tell mesomething bout that?like the finances of living there,the general atmosphere of learning,is there resentment towards fmgs for having bagged good programs?esp fmgs from india?ive heard that americans arent as racist as some european countries but has anyone faced anything that uve heard of?know what i mean?
thx again.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »