USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
applying for Pathology - Please gather here - peace4all - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: applying for Pathology - Please gather here - peace4all (/showthread.php?tid=429821)

0 - ArchivalUser - 09-03-2009

I think that is because H1b is more difficult to get these days. No wonder the H1b cap has not reached as yet. I know for a fact that even H1b visa stamping (when we go back home, in US consulate) is being subjected to extensive scrutiny and this includes non-cap H1b from a big univ like where I am.
I waited for 3 years after completing PhD to get green card before applying to residency because many programs esp the one I am looking at don't want to deal with visa issues. I finally got it this April 2009 through self EB1A petition and then decided to apply.
That being said, my friend got into BWH with H!B sponsorship. So sharp, don't loose hope. The programs that yearn for good candidates like you will always go out of the way. Hang in there. Rejections come first, then the calls!

the vast majority of programs in "Rejection because of visa issue" are historically non-sponsors. some Hospitals have varibale visa requirements among different departments-ETSU for example sponsor J-1 Visa for their IM and PEDs but not for their path residents. I didnt apply there eventhough I have a powerful inside contact just because of visa issue!!!

and yeah hang in there dude,you'll be fine,I'm sure you'll get a storm of calls soon enough!!
I Passed step3 but no H-1 for me. I want J-1,sounds convenient !!!!

BTW, do programs email us, or the messages are posted in AAMC/ERAS?

Thank everyone for your comfort. Mdphd, I got the message from my email, but it also showed up in my message center in ERAS. I am not expecting high number of interviews anyway, I just hope to grab the possible slight chance in the coming months. Cheer up, for myself and for every future pathologist here!

Sharp,

Are you on H1b visa already or need new one?

I need a new one. I am currently on a student visa. I have heard that if you already have an H1b, some programs can help you transfer, even if the existing one is based on research. But they don't want to sponsor new visa, so it will make me lose more chance (For example, St. Barnabas in NJ and Indiana University replied me with this information).

Can you make do with a J-1 ? I guess asking exclusively for J-1 visa sponsorship significantly betters your chances..Basically because the actual sponsorship is by ECFMG,not the program itself!!

IU did sponsor an H-1 for an IMG last year "a new one", but she was their PhD student anyway...

Amfas, that definitely makes difference. Internal connection matters much more than any other factors. As for J1, it is very hard for the applicants from our country to get the letter from our government, which is necessary for ECFMG to sponsor visa. In addition, J1 is a type of trouble making visa for future practice, too many complications with it. So as for me, I basically don't have other choices.