USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
Family Medicine rej/invite 2016 - psycho14 - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Family Medicine rej/invite 2016 - psycho14 (/showthread.php?tid=814564)

0 - ArchivalUser - 10-15-2015

UMN rejection from Minneapolis.. Worst day ever! 4 of them in one day. Considering that today is officially a month since applying, most programs have a general idea by now. Will have to wait for people to cancel interviews to consider us.

I think this is why family med never fills it's spots. How can they reject so many applications, knowing that US students will probably only use them for a backup. If a US student applies to Surgery and Family as a backup, they will take the surgery and leave the Family program high and dry.

@doctordontstop. I've been hearing that FP/FM is going to become quite lucrative in the coming years due to the realignment of reimbursement brought on by Obamacare. Primary care was a big thing that was stressed upon during the writing of the bill. I met a LOT of AMGs at the AAFP conference this year in KC and I think more of them are heading towards the field. FP/FM would LOVE to take more AMGs at the expense of IMGs. I applied to Neuro as well this year and it looks like that field has shot up in competitivity in recent years.

@philosoraptor85 I'm sure you're right, but wouldn't this create openings elsewhere if there were a shift in US grads to FM. Maybe we can all be Anesthesiologist lol There's no way. 1000 IMG spots from last year evaporates so soon in FM.

Today's progress.
IV in Kentucky
IV in Arizona

1 Waitlist in UMN

Rejection from Virtua

Whats your secret cadet, what is so appealing on uyour app?

Not to pontificate but all I have wanted to be for my entire life, was to be a doctor. You go through kindergarten, elementary school, mid school, high school, work your butt off to get in to a good undergrad school. Work hard to get into medical school, give up your social life and sacrifice time, money and effort and then leave your fate in the hands of few folks who have a say on whether or not you are 'worth their time'.

For folks who do not match but meet the requirements, it's a drastic shock. You are left to figure out what you are going to do for the rest of your lives because what you have done so far 'doesn't count'.

@jaygunjan u have given words to my thoughts.. i am in shock already

@jaygunjan007 that's how the current Matching algorithm works. Before the "Match" became a requirement, it was much easier to show up and apply for a residency. Now its all numbers and requirements.

@jaygunjan007. If you need a visa and you don't match, you can always go back to your home country (unless say you are a refugee or something) and practice. For AMGs, USIMGs and IMGs with GC's, there really isn't an option other than to keep trying in the US. I guess the GC people could go home (if they were single), but what about the citizens? We pay taxes and we can't potentially get a job in the field we trained for.

@doctordontstop. I have no idea what's up with FM this year. It could be due to the influx of new US grads, both in DO and MD. It probably wouldn't create openings because the higher stat AMGs would go to the fancier stuff, while leaving the average or below average grads to fight for FM or other primary care specialties. I don't know if you were at the AAFP conference this year in KC, but the IMG roundtable at one of the lunch sessions was the saddest thing that I've seen in a long time. We all pretty much knew our fate and it wasn't pretty :/.