Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
legal issue about MD - alliswell
OK, my reply got deleted. Check out the FAQ section from AMA for this. It varies from state to state.
http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/about-am...cine.shtml

I am an IMG and my medical school does not award an MD degree. My degree is an MBBS. No one in the United States recognizes the MBBS degree. Can I use the initials "MD" after my name?

Before using MD after your name, check with your state licensing board. Many states permit a physician who is licensed to practice medicine in a state to use "MD", even if they earned an MBBS, MB ChB or other equivalent medical degree from an international medical school. Some states, however, require licensed physicians who earned a degree other than an MD to submit a second, separate application requesting permission to use "MD". If you need to use ˜MD™ in more than one state, check with each state™s medical board since policies between state boards can differ.

A recent case in Kansas illustrates the laws concerning use of MD. An oral surgeon who received a doctor of medicine (MD) degree from a medical school outside the U.S. had used the MD initials after his name in his professional practice. The Kansas Court of Appeals and the Kansas State Board of Healing Arts ruled that he could not use the MD initials in his practice because although he was licensed as an oral surgeon, he was not licensed to practice medicine.

To learn what types of medical degrees are offered in various countries, you can search the International Medical Education Directory (IMED). IMED lists and provides information on thousands of medical schools around the world and includes the title of the medical degree awarded in different countries. IMED is maintained by the Foundation for Advancement of Medical Education and Research (FAIMER) (This link will take you off the AMA Web site. The AMA is not responsible for the content of other Web sites.)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »