Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attempts and low score interviews..update - eshazpurple
I need advice guys. Step 1 238(2 attempts ) / Step 2 242 / CS pass YOG 2012

I know I have red flag of having attempts. Do I stand any chance to get into residency. Just got my step 2 results last week so I ll apply for residency match next year. I have 2 publications.
What are my chances of matching ?

Thanks
hello lifeofresident, please did you get any IVs (basically without contacts)in previous applications? please I really need to know, cause am starting to think that low scores and/or attempts AUTOMATICALLY MEANS NO RESIDENCY FOR YOU UNLESS YOUR FATHER OR UNCLE IS THE PD
Yes jjrodz. It really is tragic. people have no choice but to keep studying and applying because one has already invested so much money, time and effort in obtaining a medical education. i thought that the purpose of a board exam in any field is that once you pass it you become eligible to practice in your chosen discipline. this is what applies for instance in engineering or actuarial science. as a matter of fact, their boards are pass/fail and it is generally quite difficult to pass. i'm not sure why the us medical licensing exams are being used by programs the way they are. the truth is that anyone who passes all the usmle exams should be eligible to get a medical license in the US because they've met the requirement. there is no caveat on the usmle website stating that you need to pass these exams with a particular score in order to get into residency.
Thats whats so annoying. Why do physicians even let you go on this path when your scores are low. They should tell us that switch and stop wasting your time.
Couple of years ago people with attempts and low score matched and not only are they in excellent fellowhships they are excellent doctors.
Its just getting that window of opportunity.
If somebody asks my advice I would say if you have score below 210 or attempt forget it. Maybe go for psych but other specialities arent even going to look at your app
plenty of people are still matching with low scores and attempts, it just requires more work and hustle, and targeting programs to work in and observe before applying.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »