Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preferanse to Westerners -
gosh!

Really!!!

People who fail their step 1 once, and give it again, sometimes do get good scores the second time, coz they really didnt know how to go about the exam. That can happen to someone who got 75 like yourself too. That's why when you did decide to read for it you got 93.
But there are folks who study and dont get thru first time, second time and more. They dont have the aptitude to do well. Its not their fault, its just the way it is.
So yes, you did give a paper based exam, must have been tougher etc, nobody denying that.
But you HAVE to realise YOU ARE AN EXCEPTION! There are not many like you give the exam when they arent prepared. That doesnt make you less smart, but definitely the ones who have gotten high scores, doesnt make them people with a lot of time on their hands to get good scores.
By your theory, everybody who has been studying for a year and giving should get high scores, which sadly doesnt happen!

So chill out, you are a smart guy, a victim of circumstances, but as of NOW, scores matter, hopefully it will be different tommorow. But lets not belittle the system, because its really as fair as it gets!
usmleman1

so, did u match? are u doing residency yet,
i almost agree and feel for what you are saying,
really?

I hope to start residency next July. I have many interviews and very positive feedback from the program directors. Yes, it was next to impossible to get interviews/ match with low scores for Step1&2. But believe me, those hurdles with finding a residency don't make people better, nor I feel that my knowledge and competence increased greatly with my greater scores. After all, I benefited somewhat from the PD's preoccupation with great scores. However, I feel that the misuse of USMLE scores should be stopped! I don't know how to do it better. May be, to raise the passing score for foreign medical grads, but they are unlikely to do it for political reasons.
MLE I - pedia333@yahoomail.com

Dear Harpreet :
Donot lose focus.Prepare well for MLEs,pass them with good scores and you will get enough opportunities in USA. Their are many programs which prefer IMGs,particularly from India.
Munish
usmle

by the way..Mr.Really!!!

lot of IMG are working and have families and they score high, one thing because they are hard workers and second because they they are SMART,the third reason ,because their medical school can compete with your medical schools that why ,there is exams..,if you got 75 in your exam,this does mean something....Am working in 2 places and married... and i got good scores
I agree with everybody...USA is giving me an opportunity that i would never expect to have in my country... so ,thanx God things are not in your hands...
By the way... do you have a second language?? if you do , how perfect you are ?? do you misspill any wiord,or you r super perfect!!
Karmie - drkkalmanowitz10

That is so true. Preparation is so important. Preparation in terms of experience However our background is not comparable to the education and medical training we receive. By far we are alot more prepared to meet all the different areas in Mediciine. A medical doctor from the 3rd World. I'm very proud of it. I been able to adapt to all different circumstances. We soar anywhere we go.
samurai

Hey guys,

R scores important or not ? Do PDs prefer IMGs from western countries ?
These are very very useless questions coz U R NOT THE ONE THAT DECIDE. ECFMG and PDs decides about the rules, and whatever u do, how loud u shout.... it remains the same. The rules r the rules and u can't change it. So it's useless to speak about them. We just have to follow.

Stop your useless debate...and do some MCQs...it's good for your health....
worried

hi this is to really?,
my ques. to u is ... r u doing residency or trying to get in to one??
i am asking you this because i have the same scores as u. still to give step3.on b1/b2 visa.do i still stand a chance in this world of highscorers??please ans. me sir!!
worried

helloreally still waiting for ur ans
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »