Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why are fresh graduates favored - nakamu
good god.... it has already started !!!!
bluetooth

hihihih....You make me smile. GL to you.
Ok, here's my opinion regarding this apparently hot topic:

1. Do not make the mistake of thinking that PD's prefer fresh graduates because they "feel like doing it". These people are not idiots, don't start thinking they are! Most of them have several years of experience and they have their reasons for taking certain type of decisions.

2. The fact that most PD's prefer fresh graduates is based on the same reason some PD's, when evaluating IMGs, prefer IMGs from certain nationality or medical school: pure and simple experience. Once they find something that works for them, they stick to it. Once something doesn't work, they avoid it in the future. On their experience, in general, old graduates doesn't perform as well as fresh graduates. Period. There might be exceptions, but that's the general idea.

3. Why an old graduate cannot perform as well? Many reasons are possible, and maybe is a different for each one. The age factor is important. Can a 50 year old perform as well as a 26-28 year old (average AMG age)?...absolutely!!...but it will demand a lot more effort on their side. And not every old graduate is up to it. In general, the older you get, the more likely you will have a family, and the less time you will like to spend in the hospital. Also, in the case of IMGs, many if not most of the "old graduates" spent their time between graduation and applying either doing research (which means they were away of the clinical ractice) or were practicing (which means that they are already established themselves as doctors...and many times these people are less willing to get back to receive orders). So, many reasons, different to each one, that can explain the fact that "historically" old graduates don't perform as well as the fresh ones. And PD's decisions are based on history and statistics.

So, you can argue as much as you want, but the fact is that old graduates need to struggle a lot more to overcome the historic concept PD's have about their usual performance.

Good luck to y'all...fresh and old.

"Study until twenty five, investigate until forty, profession until sixty, at which age I would have him retired on a double allowance".

--- Sir William Osler, every American doctor knows this man.
But by theory, it should be old graduates being able to perform better with the experience. Unable to follow orders seems to be the problem. But if a MRCP is willing to toe the line, he is going to beat the fresh grads by light years.
Cris,

My response to your post was regarding quoted age,I dont see any difference between 27,28 or evn 32 years.

Simple-my point is that old graduate is not based on your age,but year of graduation

Moreover,your hours as a resident is 80hrs and not 90hrs.

This is the message I responded to,no offence meant
* Re:why are fresh graduates favored

cris - 12/03/06 10:52 #577921

I think reason is simple. Older graduate have less energy and residency is demanding.
They need people who can work very hard, and I know something that when you more than 28 year old it is hard to work whole night and be fresh in the morning.
I think this is the reason besides they need us to work as a horse 90 hrs a week.
I know one girl she is 27 y/o I talk to her she barely can talk after 32 hrs shift.
What difference of competency between a person who entered the University of Medicine in her or his fist attempt and a person who spent 5-10 years (with a lot fo attempts) to get in the University of Medicine then become a fresh graduate.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »