Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
it is a nmbe Q - mamamia
mammamia if u dont mind can u tell me ur kap cd score and when did u do it?
i think mammamia have no answer , it is NBME q
1 closeset but not truely
Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT) may develop in two distinct forms, type I and type II
Type I HIT, also known as heparin-associated thrombocytopenia (HAT), is a non-immunologic response to heparin therapy, while type II HIT is an immunologic response to heparin therapy. Type I is more common than type II,
The cause of type I HIT may be mediated by a direct interaction between heparin and circulating platelets causing platelet clumping or sequestration
Type I HIT usually occurs within the first 48 to 72 hours after initiation of heparin therapy and the platelet count usually does not fall below 100 X 103/mm3, often returning to normal within 4 days despite continued heparin use.
Clinically, type II HIT displays thrombocytopenia after 5 to 10 days of heparin therapy, and the platelet count decreases approximately 30 to 50%, decreasing to less than 100 X 103/mm3
Type II HIT is more severe because of the increased risk of thrombotic events,
Type II HIT is caused by the formation of antibodies that activate platelets following heparin administration. This leads to an interaction with platelet factor 4 (PF4),
heparin-PF4 complexes which cause an immunologic response. Antibodies are generated resulting in a complex forming between antibodies, heparin, and PF4
This complex leads to further platelet activation resulting in formation of microparticles and thrombin generation
Thrombocytopenia develops as the reticuloendothelial system consumes activated platelets

Conclusion:
HIT is due to destruction of platelets in RES ie spleen of Heparin-PR4-Antibody complex
So 1 is correct.
Choice 4 is a sequele of HIT not a cause of HIT.

Hope this helps
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »