Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
matched: no usce, us lor nor published research - pedgirl
Congratulation!
I am curious!? Could you please email your CV (without ID and names)?
Thanks a lot.
nesand@netzero.net
match2011_im:

No way. Sorry Sad
Congratulations! did a great job.
people have started asking for cv..ha ha
The only thing I agree with you here ped girl is the huge gap in training aspect. that definitely is a no no universally for everyone. As for the rest, its all about relativity as nostrings attached said. I also had LORs from physicians I worked with closely from my home country, people who I had worked with from most of my career, and Zilch happened for me. I cant say much for my PS though but i wrote it myself, and put a lot of effort. i also had good scores but no USCE.
I guess what I am just trying to say is everything is relative, You cant come here and make those kind of claims just because it worked out for you. All we can advise people and ourselves(unmatched) is make decent scores, stay in clinical setting, get good US LORs, write great personal statements, research programs/specialties appropriately so you can apply to places likely to offer you an interview, work on your communication skills, have an understanding of the American medical culture, make contacts, and the list goes on...
Again in summary, there is no magic formula or one size fits all method for this whole MATCH process.
By the way, congratulations on matching.
skirilarry:

I agree with you 100%. I was not trying to say the other things don't matter...especially interview/communication skills .... but i think people tend to forget the little things and focus only on scores, usce, lor, and research. I think people need to focus on the little things that can set them apart from other applicants.

I am sorry to hear that you did not match. All the best in you future plans.
can u plz email ur personal statement to dr.fnmed@yahoo.ca
Just wanted to add to this post. I prematched this time with no USCE or US Lors. Graduated in 2006 but I've been active in clinical medicine since then. Scores 83, CS pass, 95, 96 no failed attempts. Had 6 interviews in IM since that is the only specialty I applied for. I had only 2 interviews last match and I was not successful but I did my step 3 and reapplied. I think it is the whole package that is necessary- scores, clinical experience, personal statement, etc. Sure some applicants have better scores and more USCE but the thing is to make every interview count. I am in no way implying that US Lors are not important, but it is not always possible to get USCE, especially for financial reasons. Also, I did have another friend who prematched last time in FM also with no USCE, so there is hope out there.
Thanks pedgirl. @baje, congratulations!! Can I ask how many programs you applied to and and did you need visa? Just trying to get a good picture of matched candidates. it seems there are so few FM programs out there that sponsor visas.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »