Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Guidance, IMG Please help!!!! - krazy4
@kash_md :- Thanks man!! so i should concentrate on getting the externships then and clear my Step 2 Cs and Step 3. Just wanted to confirm by 'audition rotations' you mean externships right??? Yes i am interested in IM so i will need to put an extra effort then...

@canada1 :- Thanks for the advice. I am on it. I think you are talking about the Canadian exam if you are mentioning CARMS.
yes externships.

If you can, concentrate on programs that have a history of taking applicants from your school or country, but they are so hard to get, anything really.

get some good letters and you will have more than a punchers chance next year

all the best
sure GL!
@canada1, kash_md or anyone, does it make sense who is applying psychiatry also apply for family medicine. Even don't have any observership/elective etc. of the FM.

thanks
No, you need FM letters and experience. FM is very big on having candidates want their specialty and demonstrate their passion and commitment towards it, you can't demonstrate that if you have a CV tailored for Psych.

Save your money or build up a CV/Connections for FM, which will be tough from now until september
Residency is no longer as easy as applying to a bunch of different specialties. You need to tailor your experience and connections for each individual specialty and don't you dare try to do observership for two different specialties at the same hospital. If you are FM, it's all FM in that hospital, contacts, LOR, observerships. If you want to try something else, it has to be done all over again for another hospital. FM is no longer a safety net. I have seen people with 250+ on their tests "settling" for FM.

Your biggest problem is that you need a VISA. When I was helping a friend get a visa what they straight up told me is that if there's a better candidate that doesn't need a visa they take that candidate because it's less of a hassle.
Thank you for your kindly guidance. This will enlighten my road. So I won't try to apply FM. As you know I am a psych applicant, if I have a 1-year residency at another speciality(like emergency medicine) in the home country will it destroy my chance for psychiatry at the match. Even though I have 2-month psychiatry elective on my CV.

Also, my YOG is 2013.
I have passed step1:230 currently studying for 2ck.
I know I have not much chance unless doing right things because need visa and YOG issue.

I very appreciate your comments on my case. Please do share your ideas.
Thank you

@kash_md, jjrodz or anyone please share your ideas about my situation and give me advices.

I have summarized at previous post

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »