Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do USMLE scores affect our fellowship choice? - swanneck
Smile

Specialties like Cards, GI, Rheumo, Pulm values the basic science knowledge due to having heavy research curriculum , this year all those who matched to our fellowship programs had step scores of 240+ per say the emails we received.

For example;

Our Card fellowship took a resident from a University affiliated program down south with score of 250+ on step 1 and 2. With 1 month research at a heart institute and 2 publication.

But our GI fellowship took a resident from North East NY program with no GI research at all, but with 3 LORs from GI doctors the FD know.

Bottom line these scores will hunt us for ever, connection and ITRE examinations counts alot since the higher your ITE exams are the more likely they will choose you.

So my low-average scores will prevent me from ever getting a fellow? Even if i have turn thing around and am superstar in uni program?
I will fight to the end i will not be depress
no not at all.

You missed my point. You will match , till this date I do not know anyone who wanted a fellowship and did not match.

Unless your program does not have the same fellowship you are trying to get. This is the only reason you chances decrease.

If you attend University ABC and they have Fellowship X. your chances of matching to X is higher with average scores.

If you attend CBX community program and you have no fellowship X, your chances are lower

Scores is about getting Interviews. Most applicants apply to 25% of programs, remember you do not have time to take off to go to interviews, so you are very picky when choosing , applying and going.

University programs tend to allow more time off, admin days, interviews days for fellow ship, but community programs do not.

Stop worrying, there is much to think about in the first two years of residency , I can promise you 1/2 of people wanting fellowship will become PCP or Hospitalist with this massive influx of payment and 7 on 7 off schedule.
Yes u are right. Time to kick butt
I don't know how much will affect you, but they will definitely be a factor for IVs and matching, specially in competitive specialties
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »