Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emergency Medicine - urodoc
Hi Urodoc : I applied to EM last year during regular match and did not match my scores are 92 , 95 ,pass , 9 years EM experience and 1 year during residency in EM in home country . I got 3 IV in EM program and I was unlucky . During my IV I only saw AMG , i guess EM have became one of the most competive specialities now days but do not give up to your dreams . I was lucky to get a IM post during the post match , my advice is to apply to EM and also to many IM or FM programs as a back up . I have not heard of any IMG joining a EM program . Get excelent LORS from EM phisicians from US and also do a rotation in a ER in US , this will increase your chances .
I really wish you GL and do not give up your dream of becoming a EM phisician . EM is just full of pasion .
Chears
Couldn't have agreed more with u my friend.
EM is all about passion, I'm doing a rotation in ER in US, I hope to get some good LORs from there, so may I ask u where all did u interview (and unfortunately rejected) ? It can help me in narrowing my choices.
Also, u know of any EM prog where IMGs exist, or some programs where I may have a chance of matching ?
Also please mail me at my id , thanks
I know of a few IMG's that matched EM, but they are US citizens from caribbean schools. Does that make difference?
it does make their work a bit easier as compared to someone like me who requires a visa for residency, but still much tougher than for an AMG, wud u be kind enough to let me get in touch with them
Plz email any details u know of, thanks
urodocresident
I only know of them, I do not know them personally. They matched in programs in New York (one was prematch), if that helps. If I get more info, I will email to you.
Will be thankful to u for such help !
Hi Urodoc : I had my IV at GeorgeTown University in DC, Washinton University and Metropolitan Hospital in NY . During my IV i did not meet any FMG , all the residents were AMGs . If you search the last matching statistics you will see that EM had a match rate of 96% this year , which i think is the highst ever . Do your rotation , make friends with residents specially chief resident , get good LORs and if you get a prematch in EM take it with out a doubt . Also apply to FP and IM as a back up . Big time EM programs do not take FMG , I applied to 68 EM programs I did my search on friday , I emailed to more than 125 programs . It s dificult but not imposible so do not give up . I will finish my 3 years residency in IM and then apply to EM again .
GL
Thanks for this info, I appreciate it.
Few more Qs :
Where did u have the EM experience (ineffect, where are u from ?)
I'm yet to grad, u think it shall go in my favor as in a busy and demanding specialty they would prefer fresh grads ?
And if I managed to get few letters of recommendation, esp from the PD and vice PD of the prog I wish to match into, should I give myself a fair chance then ?
And please do send me a mail to urodocresident , would love to stay in touch with u, lets cheer each other !
Just to keep this thread alive !!
bump !!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »