Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my score and experience - rei
re: alisoviejo

it depends how much time you have to study every day. Have you taken an NBME yet? If not, take one on line and see where you stand. you don't need to know everything, that's impossible, you just need to know enough to get a good score. I think you could take the exam at the end of april if you have time to go over every subject at least one, preferably twice. For me, if i don't do the second read, it's like I haven't studied. I have to go over everything twice, but maybe you don't have to. Also, keep focused and constantly read or do questions. In my case, I have studied for such a long time that I was forgetting what I had read 7-8 months before. You don't need a long time, just enough time to cover all the material, and that depends on how fast you learn and how much time you can study every day.

ghudda: if you work full time, it will be hard to study for all steps and take them before August 15th (i think that's the deadline for 2010 ... at least that's what I'm shooting for). You could do it if you're a recent grad and still remember stuff you've learned in school, or if you've practiced for a while and have good clinical background. If you go back to india will you have to work? If you won't be working in india, you might as well stay here, give up your job or work part time, and study full time for USMLE. I think this should be doable.
congrats
i have some questions from u
i will finish my 2 readings in one month
i want to take q bank
which q bank should i take first and subjectwise or mixed
timed or not
Hi Rei,

Cograt for such a great score, iam an old grad too,(1995), living in USA and working as a research associate in clinical trial.

It is hard for me to quite job or change it to part time, Iam wonder how did you study along with your job any advice or suggestion will be highly appreicated. Albeit i passed my step2 , but since it been more then seven year, i have to repeat step 2.

I have kaplan's dvd and lectures notes. Did you watch dvd?
hey rei! forgot to tell u.. i also got my result last week.. its a 99 for me too.. :-)
CONGRATS...........

HI RE,

I DID NBME 2 TODAY AND GOT 120/200 (WITH SOME GUESS ) . WHERE DO I STAND ?

HOW IS THIS SCORE ? ANY HOPES? EXAM IN MARCH END.

GOOD LUCK FOR YOUR NEXT STEP...

RE... HOW DID U MANAGE STUDYING WHERENT U FEELING LOW? I MEAN LONG TIME PEOPLE BOTHER ASKING U WHEN IS UR EXAM? KIND OF STUFF....

U R LIKE A GREAT ROLE MODEL OUT HERE TO SHOW CONSISTENCY MATTERS.......

THANK YOU
GOD BLESS YOU
how did u managed your last month ,,,how were u revising each subject??/plz let me know.
congrats............& thnx in advance.
Hey guys,

please take my opinions with a grain of salt, I am just an individual and my experience and my way of studying might not be best for you. I'll gladly share my experience and opinions, but they are by no means universal and might not apply for you.

re faridoc1: i think UW is the best, but USMLERx is not bad either. Now that you went through the material do qs mixed and timed to get used to do them quickly.

re pass_mle: i think i got a lot from listening to goljan over and over. I even listened to him while exercising or cooking. I work 8-4, and I study when I get home in the evening for a few hours. I couldn't study too much because I would be tired from work, plus I needed to spend some time with my husband and friends, otherwise the stress would be too much for me and for them. It's important to have your family's support and understanding, and not to lose them during studying. Sometimes I could read at work, or just visit the forum or search subjects on wikipedia... No matter what you do, keep the information fresh in your mind, don't take long breaks when you put studying aside (like few months). Set a date and make a schedule to cover everything you need to cover and do questions. It's hard to stay focused if you don't have a deadline -at least in my case. I didn't do DVDs.

re: pankyash
Congrats!! I actually looked for your experience but couldn't find it. I knew you'll get 99, there was no doubt in your case! Smile Have you started studying for step 2? I just ordered the Crush book today, and I'll start kaplan as well.

re: dimp
it's not too bad, try to study a lot between now and your exam. do UW and read the explanations. If you have subjects that you know are weak for you, read kaplan again. as for the stress, i only told few people that I am taking the exam, so there were not too many people to ask me about it. When I felt low I did questions... Sometimes I got 45-50% in some blocks in USMLERx but I just told myself that it's a random result, depending on areas that were more tested in that block that I was weak in... I just ignored the bad results, read the explanations for the qs I got wrong, and kept going. What got me motivated was the passing score I got on the NBME online. after that I decided to go for it, I scheduled my exam after 3 months so I'll have time to read kaplan and do FA again, and just focused on that.

re: slick
My last month I was still reading kaplan 2nd time. Second read was more supperficial than the first, mostly going over notes and things that I have underlined during the first read. I took off from work for the last week before exam and i studied 10 hours daily. During the last week I did FA, which was very helpful, and went over some notes that I made from micro and pharm (my weak areas). I'm a slow reader/learner, otherwise I would have probably done more questions during the last few days, but I didn't have time.

hi re, thank you very much.
re did u read the all the kaplan notes line by line? how much time did it take you to complete uw once first time?
i actually listened to the videos and just gave a look at the kaplan notes and started with uw and scoring like 55%.
may be this is the reason for my low score in nbme, what do you think?

how imp do u think fa is?

thank you and all the best for your next step
Dear rei,

When did you take your test? I mean which month?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »