Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
time is running - nandini@
Now you have someone who will always love you to keep you company while you study.

In 5-6years, you will be dressing up your son/daughter to attend your graduation act for your residency. Afterwards, the three of you (perhaps even more by then) will go out for dinner to celebrate. During dinner, you will talk to your husband about all the wonderful plans you have for your child, realizing that, yes, medicine is important, but that your child is your whole life. You will also be surprised to see how your five year-old is capable of making that special moment even more joyful. Your husband, of course, even if he does not say anything now, will always appreciate how much you care for him.

Love is the gift of self. Medicine, a special kind of love, is also for the sake of others.
Nandini, dear, you are not thinking clearly now. Maybe it's the hormones due to pregnancy. I am going to give you honest advice, because I was in the exactly same situation as you are right now. As I just started studying for Step 1, I found out I was pregnant. My world fall apart, because I was thinking I can't do it. However, I never for once thought of ending pregnancy. I guess due to my moral and religious reasons, I wouldn't have been able to do it. In any case, I rushed preparation for Step 1 and took it while I was 6 months pregnant. It's not easy, but you can do it. Give all you have! Study as hard as you can! You can do it....
I couldn't have taken Step 2 before the baby arrived, so I postponed it after the birth. I also don't have any support here, no way of some of my family members to take care of my baby, but I was so determined to pass all the steps. So, after 3-4 months after my son was born, I started studying. I didn't have much support of my husband when it comes to time, because he worked almost 24/7. But, we managed. And I took CS when my son was 5 months old. It took me probably longer time than to other people to prepare for Step 2 CK, but I did it. I passed it, wiith a good score, too. You just need to manage your time the best you can.

This all may seem like impossible task, too hard, but it's doable. And trust me, having a little baby is a miracle. Our son gave me all the strength I needed and didn't even know I had. Our son brought my husband and I even closer together, if that was possible. He brings joy, happiness and a lot of laughs every day and I am just thankful to God that he gave him to me. Now, that everything is done with my exams and interviews and Match, I can honestly say I wouldn't change a thing. It made me a stronger person, it gave me a beautiful healthy baby boy, and a story I can be proud of.

There is a little miracle in the making inside of you. Don't get rid of it. It is a gift. Just know that everything happens for a reason and you may not see it now that way, but one day you will. Hopefully, you will remember my words as well and realize that I was right. This is a big test for you, but dig deep inside for the strength if you don't think you have it, because everyone has it, just needs to find a source of it.

Please, if you need any more advices, answers, even step-by-step approach, feel free to ask me. I am happy if I can help, because I can completely relate to your situation.

Hang in there and good luck

im glad to know you will be refering to the word "killer" with your patients.

thanks for showing EXACTLY how much you know.
@nandini, whats ur email id??
Hi:
it is big sin to make others pay for our mistakes. I am a muslim and the teaching of islam forbid to punish some one for the act of other and you punish your comming baby for your mistake , this is unfair? can you imagin your feeling if your husband decide to kill you because his situation with the residency demond this and that act is the only solution he has will you agree? think if your mom decide to kill you just to solve some of her problem will you agree? Here is translation of verse in the quran " do not kill your children for fear of poverty or hardness in life, Iam the God who creat them and I will send their sustanance". For USMLE it is not the goal but it is step in life you can live without it , believe me sometimes simple people will be much happier than you.
u will kill ur baby for residency
wow
Nandini
STOP PARADING YOUR DILEMNA. IT IS YOUR CHOICE. DISCUSS THIS WITH YOUR HUSBAND AND FAMILY. BABY COMES FIRST.
Dont waste your baby for any damn reason. I know many many moms who did excellent with their baby or babies even.. Its all in you,if you want you can do it,believe in God. Baby is a boon,rather I want to get a baby to make my future better ,btw,I am married,but no baby till nowSad So if you are sane,please dont waste the pregnancy,take my word,it will be good for you from all aspects. Pray to Lord Krishna. Happy Holi.
@nandini

this may not be the right place to seek advice...a lot of people (incl. me) will not understand your dilemma. Every one is bound and restricted by their own cultural beliefs. The right to have an abortion is your choice, i don't think it has anything to do with ending life and sounding dramatic. Its not an easy thing to do to come to such a point, but in hindsight, you and your husband MUST have been more careful. A mistake happens once, if it happens twice, its stupid....especially such an important one. If you are not expected to be a housewife, you have some tough decisions to make. NO GOD WILL DAMN YOU for what ever you decide. Just learn to accept what you decide, not regret it. I must point out that if you don't feel ready for your pregnancy, you may just do more harm than do, pls think calmly of all possible repercussions.
Also, I assume you are from Asia and would like to suggest that please don't confuse the 'asian' culture with the US mentality here. In asia, we are all expected to have a settled career before we turn 30. In US, its a little different. You are not running low on time, whether its residency or having your baby. there are plenty of women who are handling the stresses of both. Its definitely not easy but not impossible. Your husband has to play a big role in this. There is no right answer here, but i will strongly urge you to talk to your husband and a close family member and get their advice.
*typo
I must point out that if you don't feel ready for your pregnancy, you may just do more harm than good, pls think calmly of all possible repercussions
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »