Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
program goes unmatched? - right_doc
programs go unmatched for 2 reasons
1. they need only amgs in their program. so do not invite too many fmgs for iv.

2.they do not rank the fmgs.. the unfilled spots subsequently will be given to unmatched amgs.

either way they are getting American graduates into the program.

from what i understand , most unfilled programs are not IMG friendly.. plz correct me if i am wrong.

yeah I was up with the same point only when I compared the two hospitals on the extremes!!

I'm sure you gotten into a better place than any of those biased places that went unmatched!
citalopram: you are right for good AMG friendly programs thats the reason...

BUT for IMG friendly ones like St.Barnabas and others esp in the NY area,..its the "stellar" reputation of the program that puts them in this special category of going unmatched!

so an interplay of all these factors is what causes scramble process at these places
Yes Citalopram. #
It is a shame sometimes that even FMG's who go on to become PD and Chairmans become very allergic to FMG's.

A phenomenon we call as ' Whiter than whites'.

P.S. ( I dont mean any offence )
Hey Right_do you are abs right abt this...

I don't really understand the reason behind this phenomena; probably these PDs consider any ;poor performance by FMG as finger been raised on their credibility- which is infact very shocking...

I don't think if an AMG PD would feel the same way about any AMG's poor performance!!
It also has to do with this desire to build all AMG program by a 1960-1970 FMG.
lol.... yeah..in their quest for freeing this world from FMGs- a potential threat to their position!
right _doc ..

you are mistaken . just because the PD is an indian/pak. he cant rank his countrymen . He will be answerable to the hospital committee.

matched 09

your interpretation is not right. i attended the st barnabas iv. the PD invites 400 candidates. 28 prematches. and 2 positions unfilled every year. do u mean the rest 350 candidates never rank the program .

the rest 2 positions are given to AMGS in scramble. amgs will never apply to that hospital . that's his way of hiring amgs into his program .

Citalopram- you have a point here!

But finally is St. Barnabas's PD able to rope in those AMGs? or usually these positions are filled by IMGs only?? Any idea abt it?
Hey Citalopram

I only know of general surgery spots. I ain't some one who would oppose some one who wanna favour home grown candidates. Infact, its perfectly understandable.

But, the applicants should know that its not equal any where - as far as coveted spots are concerned. They should be prepared for the worst.

I would never advice anyone to start the journy of USMLE burning all their boats. It's always good if you have a very viable and attractive alternate plan in life.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »