Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is it ok to apply 2 specialties in same hospital - mark124
Agree with aplicant guide...programs and PDs do love candidates who are commited to the specialty they are applying...
You can apply but it's risky
stop misleading the IMGs, if you applied to 2 programs in the same hospital forget about matching, you will ruin your application and waste your money.
It's VERY rare that I disagree with applicantguide, but in this case I have to disagree. Although I knew the answer to this question, two years ago I confirmed it by asking a panel of program directors I put together for an event the same question. They all agreed that it would be unlikely that their programs would know who the other programs within that hospital are interviewing.

Residency dept's typically do NOT share information and would likely NEVER know that you applied to two separate programs unless they saw you on the day of interview for the other dept. During interviews, it may even be asked if you are considering other specialties and you have to answer it honestly and accurately.

Applying to specialties is perfectly acceptable and not frowned upon if both specialties revolve around the same skill sets. For example, if you were applying IM and used Peds as a backup, in an interview all you would have to say is, 'Yes, while IM is my first choice, if for whatever reason I cannot secure a position in this specialty, Peds still offers some of the elements that I love IM for : patient interaction, dealing with family's, advising patients about preventive medicine..."

The same can be said for a surgery-ob/gyn combo (ob-gyn having a surgical element to it). Combined specialties are built around this concept of shared skill sets. So with your situation, FM & Psych should be ok if you can prove that the elements you'd look forward to in each specialty can be found in the other.

Very unlikely that the PDs/PCs know that you apply in more than 1 specialties in the same hospital but I have to agree with applicantguide if the program has some type of accomodation arrangement. Even if they don't, sometimes you will see candidate from other programs during hospital tour and the tour guide which usually chief resident might recognize you. So, better not.
- How to counsel on the CS exam
- IMG friendly residency programs lists

- personal statements (You will find anaesthesiology,community medicine, dermatology, emergency medicine, family medicine, urology, pediatrics, pathology, psychiatry, obstetrics gynecology OB-GYN, neurology, surgery, medicine/pediatrics and internal medicine personal statements )

- letters of recommendation
- interview questions

IMG-friendly internal medicine residency programs
IMG-friendly family medicine residency programs
IMG-friendly pediatrics residency programs
IMG-friendly medicine/pediatrics residency programs
IMG-friendly pathology residency programs
IMG-friendly radiology residency programs
IMG-friendly psychiatry residency programs
IMG-friendy obstetrics and gynecology OB-GYN residency programs

www.radiowoman.blogspot.com
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »