Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this the reason for this crazy IV season? - libby
I think nothing in this case. If someone can look at the nrmp data the no of positions offered increased parallel to the increase in no of us applicants. I know there is an increase in the no of us grad, but think about it if it continues without a parallel increase in residency spots, us grads will go unmatched by thousands in 4-5 years. Can anyone through light on this
let me clarify my last post, it should be worthless ECFMG certificate/Fifth Pathway certifcate for MD w no/ residency
There is no obligation for the US to increase the number of residency spots just to accommodate the IMGs. Earlier the country was hiring IMGs because of the less number of medical students to fill the residency spots. In order to balance the nationally set doc/patient proportion, they have been increasing the number of medical seats through out the country for the past 4 or 5 years. I am not very sure about the earlier years NRMP stats though. I am not sure about the carribean factor too.
No good news everywhere, why ?
oh it's too bad with this bad news, oh well, can always start cold-calling companies about employment opp0rtunities that apply to those with the likes of credentials of ECf'ingMG/fifth pathway certificate w/ MD , but no residency. Fun!
people.. dont post b.s over us grad seats.

just go nrmp stats.. see the no . of us seniors.. there is no significant increase in their seats.. but the main concern is carribean grads.. they dont need visa and have usce.. and nowadays sponsoring visa is a big headache for programs. uscis has rejected many applicants last year and so most of the progs are looking for non visa seeking people. thats the reason and also , i know many applicants this year who have more than 15 ivs , they have very good profile..

so please dont post anything abt which you dont know..

drawing conclusions out of air is not a good thing

Well the problem isn't particularly this year, many new med schools have recently opened up and haven't started churning out new grads YET. But bottom line is still the same, it's expected in a couple of years that US Grads: Residencys will be equal. (This was published on NEJM btw).

Also for IMG's yes Carrib grads also fighting for whatever is left and they will also get the benefit because as mysteriosvodoo stated, they dont need Visas and have USCE which will become crucial as time progresses.

Best bet is to match soon as the hill is just going to keep getting steeper.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »