Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone got in with only cs and step 1 scores? - indianchic
and what if I apply NEXT year??...Will my chances of getting residency decrease?...
"I can take my step 1 by end of april and then cs by end of june and then ck by end of september or something like that"

If that is the timeline you feel most comfortable with then you should do it.

I personally think the most reasonable course is to obtain USCE (min. 6 months, preferably a year) and spread the exams out and apply next year. If you follow your current timeline, it seems like your application will be complete by the end of october/early november when your ck score is in. It'll be very tough to secure any interviews then (lucky to get one or two) especially without USCE.

If you have the financial resources then take the chance at applying this year without the ck score. But have reasonable expectations - it seems like next year is the better shot.

Please do your research. If you are applying for Psych for example, go to program websites and look at their list of residents to see if the programs are IMG friendly. Then, email/call these programs and see if you can get some USCE with them. This will greatly improve chances of interviewing with them.

Apologies for being brutally honest, but your application at this time is weak. I think what I mentioned above is your only hope. Do very well in the usmles, and get GOOD CLINICAL EXPERIENCE.
dont worry about time this time...You already have one failure in CS. You do not want any more failures. If you give CS in February which you dont feel confident in , you might fail in it again...Then whats the use?

So, take step 1 by lets say april end. Then take ck after 3 months in first week of august. Then take CS in one or two months. Dont worry about the new patient note. Prepare for it and give it. Write on your application that had one attempt in CS and are retaking it in end of september. That shud get you your CS score by December. Send in your application on September 1st. Most of the hospitals dont even care about that CS score!...Tell them that you are taking it again in septemeber and will send the scores. After all , they want to see "Pass" on it...right? And they know that you will pass it eventually!! So, dont worry....

And I know it is going to be hard to get USCE now while u r studying for the steps...Do USCE in the fall and write that on your application that you will be doing USCE then. Not having USCE will not prevent you from getting interviews!!.. You will get if your scores are high. So dont worry about anything and take your time to GET THE RIGHT SCORES!!!
Hi i need to know what is meant by year of graduation, is that the year when you finished ur 1 year internship or the year in which u passed ur final year ? like if some completed medical school in 2008 and internship in 2008 and the date of exam mentioned on "degree" is 2008 but the date of "issue " is 2009, is it 2008 graduate or 2009 graduate, plz help me 2 figure out in which category i fall ?
@misschic, score counts more than usce. First is passing exam. u are 5 year out of med school, have not passed any exam yet, already have attempt. Rather than when to apply, try to focus on exam. I gave cs then ck then step 1. I realised giving step 1 would have been more helpful.
if I were u, then I would read day and night and give step 1 asap. after step 1, ck/cs won't be difficult, u can do usce while waiting for cs result. First thing first. exam first rather then worrying about match.
stepthree123:

Indianchic has zero USCE and one attempt on CS. She needs strong USMLE scores (for which she should study until she's certain she'll do well) and needs to explain the gap in her YOG and application year.

One of the best ways to occupy these gaps is with USCE.

Her best way to match is:
1) Study until she can ace the exams
2) Gain USCE (at least 6 mos.)
3) Apply broadly

Keep in mind the prematch is gone so she will depend entirely on being ranked.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »